System Spotlight: Energy Weapons

Discussion in 'The Shipyard & Guides' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

All races have some form of energy-based weapon, but this thread focuses on Sol and Genari beam weapons. Attached are data charts with all the available beam weapons those two races have.

TYPES:

SOL has two main types of beam weapons: Laser Beams, and Plasma Beams. Plasma beams are heavier and require more crew support, but have a much improved range and accuracy as well as additional range bonuses. Usually Destroyer-class ships and higher can support Plasma beams.

GENARI has one main type of beam weapon divided into two subclasses: Laser Beams, and Heavy Laser Beams. Heavy lasers tend to be take up more mass and crew support, but have increased damage potential. Usually Destroyer-class ships and higher can support Heavy Laser beams.

MA'ALAKETH has two main types of beam weapons: Plasma Beams, and Particle Beams. Particle Beams have dramatically increased range and accuracy improvements over Plasma Beams, but require multiple lengthwise weapon hardpoints to support. They also cost 2x in power to charge.

THE HIVE has two main types of energy weapons: Hive Energy Beams, and Hive Plasma Wave. The Energy Beams are variable in range, power, and accuracy, but have no range modifiers. The Plasma Wave takes a lot of power to charge, and has limited range, but encompasses the entire enemy ship, doing damage from one to all six sides of the target ship.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  2. MLocke

MLocke Member

How is the weapon rating calculated?

3. Vesuvius_SWIE

The formula is as follows:
    Energy Weapons Rating Calculation:
    (max power + RangeMod [+2] =1 [+3] =2) x Range/10 x Accuracy %

So a Genari GSEHLB-3A with 6 max power, 10 range, +2 modifier, and 60% accuracy would be: (6+1)x10/10 x .6 = 4.2

4. MLocke

MLocke Member

What does range modifiers do?

5. Vesuvius_SWIE

Range modifiers add bonus damage to your energy weapon. For example a +2 range modifier at 3-4 hex range means that if you fire your weapon from a distance of 3-4 hexes, you give two additional damage points to your energy weapon.

6. NightWolf

NightWolf Member

Another question, what does accuracy % apply on the battlefield? Is it 50% from all ranges or does it change based on distance?

7. Vesuvius_SWIE

Accuracy % = % chance to hit at exactly 50% of max range. So if a weapon has 9 hex range, and 60% accuracy, it means that at 5 hexes it would be 60% chance to hit.
    At closest range of 1 hex, all weapons are at 95% chance to hit, and at max hex range it is 5%.
    percentweapon.jpg

8. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

Interesting.

9. Tereva

Tereva New Member

What about the % to hit where you are firing at 2hex to mid range , and mid range to max range ?
    Is the accuracy being reduced the farther you go ?

Cheers,

T.

10. Vesuvius_SWIE

So yes, it is a gradient based on distance. In the combat itself, when you select an enemy ship and activate a weapon, it will show you the % chance to hit on that range.

11. MLocke

MLocke Member

Are there any bonuses or skills that help increase the range of the weapons or increase the % to hit?

12. Tereva

Tereva New Member

Ty Vessuvius

13. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

Will crew play a roll in the dmg, like star trek online bridge officers

14. Coser

Coser Active Member

As I see it, yes.

Weapons Officer does exactly that. Range Boost adds a single hex onto your range, thereby improving your chances to hit a little at the previous ranges. Lucky Shot gives you a +80% bonus once per battle, and Accuracy can give you up to a 30% permanent boost which would make that edge of range shot a 35% chance from a 5% one [unless the edge of range cannot be modified, of course]. It may be that it changes the base [half range] chance from 50% to 80% and then range modifiers work as before to 95% directly in front of you to 5% at extreme range. This would mean that differences in the first half of range would be less, but accuracy drops off fast after that.

i.e. [and using easy numbers for the math] if you had a weapon with range 11, your mid point would be hex 6. Without Accuracy, you would hit 50% of the time, your chance to hit at range 5 would be 59%, range 7 would be 41%. However, IF accuracy works by making your mid-point 80%, then with accuracy your chances would be range 5 = 83%, range 6 = 80%, and range 7 = 65%.

However, don't forget the Science Officer's skills. Again, the way I read it, he can get you up to 100% targeting on the enemy weapons, but I presume that to be AFTER you have hit them. So that once you have hit with your Accuracy enhanced Weapons Officer, you would normally have a chance to hit either weapons, drive, shield generators, or whatever. But Accuracy can make that a 100% guaranteed weapons hit so they can't strike back. I can see a drawback in that though. [especially in multiplayer modes.] Once you have taken their weapons out of the equation, they can still have drive and escape - which will presumably reduce the experience you get for the encounter.

15. MLocke

MLocke Member

I looked up on the shipyard and I think some of the heavy laser beams are more powerful than the plasma beams.

16. Warshoe

Warshoe Member

Yeah, some of the genari laser weapons have more weapon damage but they're a lot less accurate than the plasmas.

17. Warshoe

Warshoe Member

Yes the genari heavy lasers are somewhat more powerful in damage but its the plasma's accuracy that is superior.

18. SirSprout

SirSprout New Member

That's why I'm sticking to Sol for now. I aim to get ships that have plasma beams, not lasers.

19. SirSprout

SirSprout New Member

to add to this, I think the long range beam variants of ships with plasma beams are great for pounding AI with my shields up.

20. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Trying to figure out which is better for improving chance to hit, +1 range or +5% accuracy. I think the range is better, especially for weapons that have an already short base range.

Did you give the chance to hit formula anywhere? (not just the median-rated accuracy explanation)

Coulda swore I ran these numbers before :p

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017