Proposed Change - Transit Phase

Discussion in 'Beta Discussion' started by Xeen Dread, Jun 10, 2020.

?

What are your thoughts on the current Transit Phase implications?

1. I like the Transit Phase as is.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I like the Transit Phase, but it should be time scaled to the number of ships.

20.0%
  3. I like the Transit Phase, but it should be non-revealing.

20.0%
  4. I like the Transit Phase, but it should be time scaled to number of ships and non-revealing.

40.0%
  5. I do not like the transit phase at all, instead some sort of list/side UI panel of new arrivals.

20.0%
  1. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

This one could be moderately difficult depending on the degree of change.

Proposal: Remove or alter current transit phase.

The video cinematic of arriving ship(s) is a nice little breather and visual for about ~2 seconds per ship, however the entire process is awkward, buggy, and downright all too revealing on top of ALWAYS being 10 seconds for one or twenty ships. This is a tactical pvp game RTS/TBS, information matters tremendously. Revealing the location of a newly arriving ship via identifiable markers during transit sequence should NOT happen!

It is ok to spend ~2 seconds to see a ship type/class/variant and Captain.
    It is ok to see a short animation/still shot of them in an EMPTY skybox of the same type as the current battlefield.

Itis NOT ok to see markers (planets, debris, rocks, moons, other ships, etc.) during a transit phase that may reveal the position of the arriving ship.

Remember, you only have to see 'new' arrivals transit in, so once per ship. Initial transit into a large ongoing battle may be lengthy depending on settings. Additional changes may be required later to limit transit phase duration, but cramming 30 transits into 10 seconds is... what's the point?

@Vesuvius_SWIE we love you, hang in there.

Comments/perspectives welcome.

2. Blingon

Blingon Member

pretty sure the real reason here is to remove transition phase entirely. as to most, it is 10 second wasted on boring aesthetics of ships they have seen hundreds of times and would rather be in combat phase right there and now.

Transition phase also enable a very consistent exploit that lets the user pin point the spawn location of the enemy arriving. Removing the transition phase animation is one way to solve this.

3. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

It's kinda neat and the ONLY reason I want it to say for the mini-cinematic effect is because I'm thinking down the line Ves could market cosmetics for your ship that do things like flash your shields, shoot guns, a barrel roll, etc. as a means of income. A sort of signature for the player or per-ship basis.

But like you, I wouldn't be too sad if transit phase, both the time sink and revealing arriving ships, was gone entirely.

4. Blingon

Blingon Member

replace any player arrival ship cinematic with an animated transmission from the ship captain! less typing "yohoho" for hook if everytime he shows up, the cut scene says it for him.

5. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Sounds like another cosmetic opportunity to make some money, catchphrase arrivals