Proposed Change - AI Allocation

Discussion in 'Beta Discussion' started by Xeen Dread, Jun 10, 2020.

?

Do you want this change?

1. Yes, I should be able to tell my AI how to allocate and they respond accordingly that same round.

100.0%
  2. No, I like the old system where AI must be 'programmed' before allocation begins.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Currently, you have to select one of three (or 4 for combat) AI behaviors BEFORE allocation begins.

This prevents you from putting your drones/combat AI in a defensive 'hold' posture or telling them to leave the battlefield immediately, etc. upon arriving to a fight or during a new round's allocation phase. While you can tell your AI to 'hold' immediately, they will not have adjusted their power accordingly such as supports/drones raising shields with not needing to move.

Proposal: AI behavior should be adjustable during allocation phase and the respective unit(s) should only lock-in/confirm/end their allocation phase when the owning player ends THEIR allocation. This will allow for AI allocation to happen during allocation as expected, not be required before, and allow immediate AI behavior and power configuration response.

@Vesuvius_SWIE we love you :p

Comments welcome

2. Blingon

Blingon Member

I am updating the AI guide since i have exact percentage for power allocation and behavior for shield allocation. What you are saying is absolutely right since the way to correctly use the AI is counter intuitive. I think you should suggest even further to put more "modes" into allocation, allowing more aggressive AI behavior or better retreats. PVP wise, the Hive is the only race that functions with the current Ai settings and they are barely scrapping by. Ves personally wants to let player paint targets for their AI, allowing for focused fire. AI control will always be an area for programmer to work on, we can only hope it improves as time goes by.

3. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

He did say he wanted a lot more functionality added at some point, and I'd love that too.

For now, this change is meant to be an easy-to-implement intermediate step that would greatly improve the handling of AI [with given current commands] to match expectations: Allocate during Allocation phase, duh?! Oh wait, I had to tell it to warp out or shield up last round before this allocation phase began... what?!!!

Who knows how easy it really would be to do :p

4. Ian McAlister

Ian McAlister New Member

I like the idea, but you basically need a power setting and a behavior control. Also, a UI control without having to find the ship on the map would be beneficial as well. I understand that this could clutter the screen and is an idea to toy with, not an absolute "must have".

5. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Disabling the 'camera hijack' would go a long way to allowing you to control your AI better if you could stay selected on them. That way, we wouldn't need a separate UI, though I would love one, that's a lot of programmer work. These things I'm proposing are all inter-connected.