Officer Spotlight: Sol Chief Medical Officer

Discussion in 'The Shipyard & Guides' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

One of the five Sol Officers is the Chief Medical Officer -- who primarily affects the health and survivability of the crew. There are 14 skills available to this Officer:
    0MEDOFFC.jpg

Since the Chief Medical Officer has 5 levels, it means that you can only pick up to 5 out of these 14 skills.
    * The Medical Officer has one primary skillset -- Environmental resistance, which can very tactically useful in areas of high radiation and at its maximum, both radiation and ion storms.

The Chief Medical Officer levels up from Experienced -> Expert -> Master -> Veteran -> Elite
    experience.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  2. J.Sousa

J.Sousa New Member

If I may ask, what do radiation zones and ion storms do to the crew or the ship?

3. Jmp2x

Jmp2x Member

There's definitely a lot of skills to choose from with all these officers. I also want to know how much experience does it cost to upgrade these officers each level?

4. Jmp2x

Jmp2x Member

So I'm guessing if you lose your ship your officers die with your ship, hence the skill to save them?

5. Lesiak

Lesiak Member

By the way, do humans (sol) have marines too? Or is it just a genari thing.

6. Vesuvius_SWIE

Radiation does damage both to the ship itself (hull damage per turn) as well as crew casualties. The higher the radiation level, the more damage it does to ship and crew. Force fields can protect the ship from hull damage, but not crew casualties.
    Ion storms disables your force fields, so having Resistance V is a pretty powerful ability to negate ion storm penalties.

7. Vesuvius_SWIE

I built a table now that I added to all the Officer threads showing the experience points it requires.

8. Vesuvius_SWIE

Sol ships can have marines/troops, but for the game's release, I've avoided any ships that have them for Sol.

9. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup New Member

For emergency escape, does it always rescue the listed crew members, or is it just a chance of rescuing them? Do rescued crew members get transferred to another ship of the same class?

10. Vesuvius_SWIE

With Emergency Escape, you always rescue the listed crew members. Indeed they automatically get transferred to another ship of the same class (they can't be transferred to a higher tier ship).

11. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

# of combat sorties is defined by kills or time you've been in battle?

12. Vesuvius_SWIE

Its based on your presence on combat map, whether you're there for a few turns, or for a long period of time. When you enter a combat region, have some sort of engagement with the enemy, then leave, its considered one combat sortie.

13. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

Is there a base value for crew that we can establish what the +1 and +2 does for crew strength?

14. Vesuvius_SWIE

I'm planning to make a table, but the gist is:
    Sol Crew: 3 strength points
    Genari Crew: 4 strength points
    Ma'Alaketh Crew: 2 strength points
    Hive: Organic carapace, no crew
    Sol Marines: 4 strength points
    Genari Marines: 5 strength points

So if you have crew toughness II, you crew will be 3+2= 5 = Genari marine strength.

15. Makevelian

Makevelian New Member

I'd probably take the crew toughness and call it the day, so that the marines from genari don't bother me as much, since that seems to be their primary advantage.

16. Kuwanger

Kuwanger New Member

How I see it is that most players will choose this officer's skills to upgrade as secondary to the other officers. Unless genari players start going nuts with their marines.

17. Potkeny

Potkeny Member

To be honest Emergency Escape sounds like the "best" skill in almost any situation, I would upgrade that when I can for sure. (Maybe not if I can go a tier higher fast, but that's it.)

18. J.Sousa

J.Sousa New Member

Yeah, the emergency escape pays off in the long run, unless you're about to pass on from that ship to a more powerful one.

19. Coser

Coser Active Member

Even then, you keep your old ship and crew, so those that can, might like to use their old ship as their companion ship once they get fleet command. Then having all your officers upgraded already would be quite a bonus.

SPiEkY likes this.
  20. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

My recommendation is that the emergency escape skill should allow you to pick which officer to rescue, especially in the early levels. Maybe the way its designed above its supposed to avoid abuse in some way.

Yuka-san and MLocke like this.