Officer Spotlight: Genari Marine Commander

Discussion in 'The Shipyard & Guides' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

Indeed it does cost power to launch a marine pod -- 5 power to be exact. So it is especially power-hungry for a smaller ship like a Corvette or Frigate.

2. Potkeny

Potkeny Member

Does that mean it's possible to launch more pods in one turn if you have the power? Is there some kind of limitation?

3. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

You only have a set number of marine pods, eg. Firebolt Frigate had 30 marines = 3 marine pods. You can arm them all at once, or one by one. Since the Firebolt has 26 power, you have enough to arm all three = 15 power. But once you've used them up, there's no more to launch (short of leaving to a station or having a troop transport nearby).

4. Potkeny

Potkeny Member

So the limitation is only the power/marine pods you have left, I see. Does resupplying marines from supply-ships take several turns, or you can potentially fire marines every turn if you have enough resupply-ships next to you? Yes, it's not likely to happen in normal gameplay :D

5. Kuwanger

Kuwanger New Member

Even without their marines the Genari ships seem to be tough as it is. I'd probably dump my marines on some poor sap and then continue fighting.

6. Warshoe

Warshoe Member

Like the medical officer, I think the marine commander is the least vital officer in the genari ship. Its only good if you're really going to make heavy use of the marines. I could see it being super useful if you've got that marine support ship, so you can dole out more and more of these guys for XP.

7. Sarah

Sarah New Member

This has been my first officer upgrade. I chose the increased marines per pod one. I'm not sure if I can tell much of a difference, but the extra XP is welcome. I especially like it when I see something like 15 crew killed by one pod :p

8. TommyBZ

TommyBZ New Member

Commandeer doesn't work yet, but I'm eager to try capturing a ship once it does. Beef up your marines on your frigate enough, its quite possible you can take over a Sol corvette. If it truly is 2x XP for capturing a ship, then also the XP you get for slaughtering crew, it should be a good way to mine XP for Genari.

9. Kahless

Kahless Member

I think with the new ship XP reconfig the marines XP is worth twice than before now, making it even more valuable!

10. NightWolf

NightWolf Member

An AI ship actually dropped a marine on me! Never seen that before.