Faction Spotlight: Genari United Empire

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Coser

Coser Active Member

Much as I'm going to enjoy doing that, the disadvantage is that you have to get close to do it..

Out of the two races in the beta, and possibly at launch, genari are the Fighter stereotype - Conan, the Scorpion King, that sort of thing. Whereas I can see Sol being more varied. Sol has generally more in the way of shielding, so they can absorb damage without necessarily having to repair their structure, making that more of a 'Tank' type of player, but they also have more accurate weapons, so they could be the 'ranger' being harder to detect and taking enemies on from further away.

Sol medical officer, IIRC, has an ability to increase Sol soldiers resistance to boarding parties, so that would also be something to consider. Also Vesuvius gave a calculation in another thread that effectively gave us the means to calculate how many a pod of Genari marines could deal with. If you take the skill to increase the odds at both levels, and increase the number of marines per pod to 12, the calculation is 8-12 successes per pod, average 10. 5 points of damage per success = 50 damage, 50/3=17 crew knocked out. (without taking Sol skills into account) All you then need to know is how many crew the enemy ship has to work out how many pods you need to actually get to the hull to be able to take out the vessel.

Small vessels may be quite easy to take over, but won't be that much experience, whilst larger vessels will probably require a coordinated attack by multiple Genari ships to stand any chance at all - and I don't see the other captains sitting around in 'Ten-Forward' whilst you do so.

2. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

Yup, a marine pod will just explode on impact and do 1 shield point of damage if force fields are up when you fire it. Also marine pods can be counterfired upon (an option on your weapons system you activate at allocation round) which will shoot down the marine pod if its coming from the proper weapons arc).

3. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

How easy or difficult it is to land your marines on safely is the real question. Given how Gen ships have more armour (hit points) than the other factions, is it enough to steam ahead full all power to forward shields till you get within transport range without being blown away

4. Potkeny

Potkeny Member

I think Vesuvius gave a nice example of how "easy" it is. We will see how will it play out in game, but on paper it seems like a mindgame.

The Calamity likes this.
  5. Vesuvius_SWIE

It also costs 5 power to arm a Marine Pod -- so you'd be cutting your power to other things pretty heavily... especially on a corvette with 14 power. I guess there are so many variables that I'd have to list, so you'd see how things have been thought out quite a bit. I don't doubt in Beta some variables will be modified however plus or minus a few points.

The Calamity likes this.
  6. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

Yeah I guess it just boils down to actually getting my hands on some gameplay and then checking out everything

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Coser likes this.
  7. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

so to follow up with this, in your opinion. What exactly and how exactly will the expert genari player play? Really seems like risky buisness and tbh I like that, but as it seems I'd probably get blasted well before I'm in range to do any good damage.

Also in reference to the sol wep officer and the genari tact officer,

Sol wep are more accurate so the wep officer caps out at 30%

Genari weps aren't as accurate & the tact officer caps out at 60%

So with this being the case, who's more accurate in the end game? I'd say the genari, but do the sol accurate weps make up for that huge difference in inate accuracy provided by genari's tactical officer?

8. Coser

Coser Active Member

Speaking personally, I am not looking to get any of the accuracy skills on my sol Weps Officer. I am quite at ease allowing the Genari Tactical officer to allow his ship's accuracy to be higher than mine. There are other ways to counter someone who has used all his TO's skills in Accuracy.

Sol Navigator with rank 5 evasion knocks 30% of your chance to hit, so the best your TO can do is add 30%, which will be reduced further by the lower natural accuracy of Genari weps, maybe knocked out altogether. But the threat of this sort of build means Genari are almost forced to take a minimum of Rank 5 Accuracy just to take that out of the equation and get back to being even [minus, of course, their weapons' naturally lower accuracy.

9. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

In my experience with games like this accuracy is everything, no point in having good damage if I can't hit anything, so in my situation I would indeed take accuracy. And if the tooltip reads 30% chance for me to miss, that's all it is, it may might factor in other variables to come to that, but I'm assuming (if you're sol and I'm genari) that it will take off 30% of my total accuracy

10. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

Seems based on the information here, to get marines to land the ship would have to be severely damaged before you can even think about boarding a ship. So I'm theorizing by the time you'd actually get a legit chance to send marines and have them land safely your target would probably be trying to get out of there

11. Nickman77

Nickman77 Member

Actually I think that if a team of weaker players gangs up with their marines on some stronger guy they could essentially cripple him and then finish him off with laser weapons etc..

12. Coser

Coser Active Member

Calamity.
    Vesuvuis has already clarified elsewhere that a +30% from accuracy, and a -30% from Evasion would just cancel each other out. Other than that, it is being able to hit an unshielded ship that will have the most impact, so far as I can see, and a ship can only allocate power to shield facings in it's own turn, so the first shot of an encounter is the most important as the other ship won't have shields up at that point - and that's where "Lucky Shot" comes in. [+80% to hit for one shot per battle]

As to the state of an enemy ship facing marines, you are dead on the money.

Nickman.
    You'd have to do that in reverse. If a boarding pod hits an active shield facing, the pod explodes, taking the shields down by a single point, and Vesuvius has mentioned that the pods can get shot at too! It would be much more effective if you could target the enemies engines rather than weapons. No power generation, no power to weapons or shields, and no ability to run away. then your marines can wreak havoc on the other crew.

The Calamity likes this.
  13. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

if I have 60% acc your skill will still off 30% so I'll still have an additional 30% of acc in the bank, and I'm okay with that!

14. Vesuvius_SWIE

Another thing about Marine Pods -- you have to be at 1 hex range (adjacent) to your opponent to launch them, but they have a 100% chance to hit (evasion does not protect against marines, nor does Ma'Alaketh dampening fields).

SPiEkY likes this.
  15. Coser

Coser Active Member

Oooh, now there's a game changer.

So you have to be adjacent to the enemy to launch them, they are not affected by accuracy or evasion, and are automatically destroyed by active shielding.

That's going to make it tough to play as a Genari.

"I can feel a shifting in the Force." :p

SPiEkY likes this.
  16. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

yeah haha, i mean the hull points of the Genari better be able to withstand getting that close lol. i see lots of Genarians dying trying to land pods haha

17. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

@Vesuvius_SWIE So i just went to compare the Leviathan and the Colossus, and i just realized the exp needed for both ships is drastically different, mind explaining why that is the case? i literally just found out about that exp gap between the factions!

18. Vesuvius_SWIE

(Attack rating x Defense rating) + 12000 dreadnought XP modifier = XP value of the ship (along with a few minor modifiers). The Colossus has both much higher attack and defense rating; thus a much more powerful ship.

In overall comparison, lower to mid tier ships are about equal for both races (with some mid-tier stronger for Genari), but as we get to Cruisers and higher, Genari fall behind dramatically. The Genari simply don't have advanced enough power plants or force fields in the highest echelons to compete. In fact, I think a Yamato Battleship is a match for the Leviathan Dreadnought -- if Yamato plays a little more 'strategically'.

19. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

well that just made me want to go Sol, I don't see the benefit to playing them at this point, they only have the Marines, and that is gonna be one hell of mix up to actually land,and sol well eventually get them, they're good at close combat more or less, and that tact officer accuracy is the only reason I'd play them tbh, but it's still early and I have yet to actually get my hands on the game. Can't wait for beta

20. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

Even without the marines, I think that the T3-T6 Genari ships are stronger. They have more hull points, and the rest of their specs seem to be on par with Sol ships. They seem to have more missiles on their ships, and all you'd have to do is get a little closer than they do.