*** CLOSED BETA UPDATES & DISCUSSION/BUG REPORTS VI ***

Discussion in 'Beta Discussion' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Nov 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

My report to the programmers on the General Error:
    On occasion, when you finish your combat round it will pop up a general error – its quick and has no negative effect, but it will convey a bug to players, or that they did something wrong.

I think it has something to do with the new feature where if you use all your movement/weapons it automatically ends your turn, and so clicking on something like end turn or queuing some command triggers it.

If its possible to make sure that general error does not pop up in these cases.

My report to the programmers on the Slowdown:
    When you hit an enemy and it shows the XP gain on the left side of the combat screen (not the XP popups around ship) the delay it creates does slow the game down considerably. It has become far more evident with not being able to queue movement after firing.

If somehow the XP gain info did not create delay (have it appear on the left, but not tied into affecting actions), or, was removed temporarily to speed up the game, it would be a great help in making the gameplay move faster.

2. Vesuvius_SWIE

BTW, this is another comp for improvement on the character selection screen:
    characterselect2.jpg

Right now when players see the XP value of a ship in server selection screen, they tend to gravitate towards the most expensive one. So remove the XP value on the server selection screen.
    -It will be clearer for a player to know the stats of the ship if the bars are removed and replaced with actual number values.

Adding 'Strengths' information to the race, so that players know what the differences are between the ones they're choosing.
    Set to four lines.

For Sol:
    -Plasma Weapon Technology
    -Advanced Force Fields
    -Strong High Tier Ships
    -Ion Drive Technology

For Genari:
    -Efficient Weapon Systems
    -Heavy Defensive Armor
    -Strong Low Tier Ships
    -Marine Assault Force

3. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Some neat additions. Here's my thoughts:

What does 'ion drive' do? [Edit: Spoke to V in-game, some sort of future tech not yet implemented]

Sol ships tend to have equal or less engine power compared to Gen up until C9/10, which seems like 'strong high tier ships' covers that. Particularly the C4-C6 Gen ships have some of the best in class engines and actual performance capabilities (on the same ship) in the field for the class.

+ Sol's operating costs are higher practically across all tiers (plasma beams/warheads, shields to compensate for small hulls) and require more MP overhead to use mutli-arc weapons. (AKA Efficiency for Gen :p, they are cheaper to power and lower maneuvering overhead, generally)

The Mendi III and maybe some Orchis models (sortof) very closely tie Gen corvettes for engine power, but not for damage potential, hull, or XP. (Part of Gen Strong Low Tier Ships)

Aren't Sol supposed to have marines of their own at some point (not really supposed to be a Gen-only thing, but is for now)? I guess you can change that later when both sides have them and another faction comes in.

Doesn't seem to be a point to listing Ion Drive for Sol or Marine Pods for Gen, at least not in the big picture.

Totally agree on removing bars and showing numbers instead. Would also be nice if players could see ship details from this menu to get an idea of the # and layout of weapons + operational cost of the ship and other systems (2x or 1x or no shield gen, radar capacity, marine pods, etc). The ratings only give you a general idea, and it is quite possible for a lower rated ship to out-perform/be more viable than a higher rated one.

I think a lot of that may have been cleared up with 3rd/4th weapon charges on Sol basic type laser beams (not plasmas) no longer costing 2 power each (now same as Gen). There were a lot of cases where 2 ships had the same damage potential with # of weapons and range + officer bonuses factored in, but one would have a cheaper operating cost because of charge distribution AND could have a lower attack rating while being just as effective for less power.

Ultimately, since corvettes are all super cheap and C2 is no longer an option, you can't really go wrong with the starter ship selection.

General error seems to be related to the game server processing commands out of order, namely 'End Turn': Before the anti-movement queuing and after, what can and did/does happen is that you queue up a bunch of stuff (could happen with movement or weapons) and then end turn quickly after doing so. The 'end turn' can somehow be processed before the other commands (more noticeable with higher latency/unstable connections), a general error is popped because the server receives your other commands that it cannot honor AFTER your turn is determined to be ended even though the order in which you sent the commands was correct with the 'end turn' being the last command you issued.

I believe what we are seeing with the new anti-queue + auto-end is that upon firing all weapons or spending your last movement point then finishing all possible remaining actions (weapons or movement, whichever is left), there is a conflict between your last action and the auto end-turn feature. I seem to get this EVERY time I've fired all weapons and then maneuver until all MP is spent, usually my last 3 in for reversing 1 hex.

You are gonna make me pull hair out... lol

This is what I had been telling you about since a long time ago + that bug I recently ran into (now a third time the other night when I broke the Gen defense line) where XP doesn't show on target or side log = fast animations and combat, no adverse effects (you still earn the XP, animations and sounds do not appear to have any problems operating at higher speed).

I think my comment was deleted from JIRA about the same thing, stating that combat resolves quickly/smoothly without the XP posts and the pace could be increased >< It was related to the bug about the resolution of combat, ship destruction, and ability to leave map before animations finished as a result of q'ing multiple shots.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  4. Vesuvius_SWIE

Ion Drives have a special 'ship skill' that hasn't been implemented yet:

'Ion Power Boost': Active skill that gives you bonus power for a combat round (cooldown by going to station).
    How it works: +1 power per ion engine (+2 power per heavy ion engine)

eg: Bengbu Type I with two SIWID-2 ion drives
    Activating skill will give +1 x2 bonus power.
    Base power of ship =12 -- power jumps to 14 in allocation round.

Now Xeen: Don't overanalyze this. Its a feature that's fallen on the cutting room floor until the game launches; then its going to be worked on.

5. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

:D I was gonna say the same as eXe, give it some different flavor other than 'once per round' (like targeting, only one that's once/round iirc) or 'once per sortie' (once per battle is misleading), requiring dock to re-arm.

You could give it some restrictions like 'the following allocation round, drives must recover and you have 1/2 of the boosted amount LESS power to spend' OR the engines take minor damage from the ability (bordering on a mini stress-engines here) but allow it to be used every other round/more frequently than 'once per sortie' (I think all those once per battle skill descriptions should be changed, 'battle' -> 'sortie'). Thoughts, not recommendations/expectations.

*zips it*

6. Vesuvius_SWIE

Another patch/update will be coming tomorrow morning, with quite a few updates/fixes.

7. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Fighting in G-1313, killed an AI C6 after trying to help some allies (who were killed before I arrived), no CP was awarded. Going to kill more and see what happens. There's no deficit afaik.

Killed a player, still no CP.

Seem to always be greeted by a cold, evil load screen instead of observer mode when attempting to join a battle in progress.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  8. gegener

gegener Member

cp = crew point? if the case i try to report it(perhaps i dont understand how it work) but nobody reply to my post ^^

9. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

CP = Control/Capture Points for claiming territory.

I've only seen this happen twice now, and it probably reset itself once all players and AI left the area.

10. TheMaster

TheMaster New Member

Hiding the grid in preferences should be something that can be done on the map at every time.
    At the moment you can only change that before entering a map.
    That's were a bug came in, i can't target and fire any ship without the grid, funny enough if you switch the grid back on during combat , which doesn't show the grid again, let's you target ships again.

11. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Yep, V knows about that one. He's done ss's of every ship for cards and such with grid off. Heard him talking about how you lose the UI and can't fight or maybe even can't leave map. Don't get mad, I'm just letting you know that this is a known issue and it will be taken care of sooner or later, so you don't have to do anything else.

Not sure about the Legacy Medals. Since it was JUST implemented, it's probably a minor flaw that it shows from the officer screen and doesn't pose any gameplay issues. I'll check to see if I have all the same Legacy Medals as from captain/normal panel. Yeah, all the same. It's just a button that points to Legacy Medals, no difference where you access it from. Heck, there's even one for the account level at the login (top right before server select).

I've seen that object before. It looks like the weapon mount or a light or something that I see on Gen ships. Likely just an art/model bug specific to that ship (TONS of those if you look close, you can see weapons in wrong places, pointing wrong ways, objects disconnected from ship, wrong warp animation directions on NPC/support ships). It moves around with the ship, right? not floating in space on that particular hex. None of these seem to cause gameplay issues. Even when weapons are pointing the wrong way, they still fire on the correct arc.

We could start a thread on just ship model bugs!

12. Vesuvius_SWIE

The hex grid removal option was mostly for screenshot purposes, but NEVER use it for combat. You can't fight, or even leave map.

13. TheMaster

TheMaster New Member

Bug Report for Credit Purchases in Pounds and Euro so far.
    500 credits cost 4 euro or 3 pound
    then it gets weird until
    5000 credits cost 37 euro or 42 pounds

14. Vesuvius_SWIE

Another update!
    • Open servers will now be displayed in the center column of the server select screen if the user has no active characters.
    • The XP gained notification in-combat will no longer delay user commands from being executed.
    • Fixed an issue where some tutorial text was not appearing during the Sol tutorial.
    • More Premium captain portraits have been added to the game.
    • Addressed an issue that was preventing the observer mode from being seen while waiting for the next transit phase.
    • Fixed an issue with the movement preview not appearing in the Genari tutorial.
    • The captain creation screen will no longer display the starting ship XP value but instead display the strengths of the faction that is selected.
    • Using the mouse scroll wheel for chat when the chat cursor is active will no longer zoom in and out of the map.
    • Edit ship name will no longer be available if the player has no ships.
    • A player's current premium captain portrait will no longer appear in the standard section of the change portrait window.
    • Addressed a lighting issue with the Lorgha Moon map object.
    • The enemies eliminated window will now delay loading back into the Galaxy Map until it is closed.
    • All the graphics quality settings when launching Space Wars will now be capped at 60 FPS to reduce GPU strain.
    • The purchase credits window will now show two decimal places for prices.
    • The intro cinematics will use their original music instead of the server select music.
    • Fixed an issue that would trigger the general error popup at the end of combat.
    • Range damage bonuses for Sol Plasma Beams expanded in range.

15. Vesuvius_SWIE

About the currency issue from programmers:

This is a minor bug with how the client is displaying the cost (it doesn't show decimal values). The actual price for 50 credits is $3.71 GPB ($5 USD) and the price for 5000 credits is $37.10 GPB ($50 USD). If the player had actually clicked through to buy the credits, the Steam overlay popup would've shown $3.71.

16. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

500 credits for $5 ? Is that 50 a typo?

Is this the thing that was holding back the steam submission? The money/conversion issues.

17. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Seeing a lot of goodness in the update, from gameplay to backend to 'nice to haves'.

Still eagerly awaiting fixes to the very rare radar problems and the much more common double/triple pathing on click-to-move (this can really get you into trouble burning up MP if you click more than once due to lag or whatever when trying to use click-to-move).

I was hoping the bit about not being able to queue additional movement in the last update was the fix to the later, but it seems to have made combat more tedious and time-consuming without correcting the problem.

Lenor observed a radar bug with being unable to see me last night and Tobias/Zero had one when he was streaming a few nights ago and unable to see an AI target I was fighting by the time he entered. Both cases resolved when I forced an update through breaking range/LOS.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  18. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Question about portraits: Is it 100 credits each time a player changes or is it 100 credits to unlock and can freely changed purchased portraits to any unlocked premium or standard?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  19. Vesuvius_SWIE

100 credits to unlock and change portraits to premium or standard (though why would anyone do standard after paying for a change I don't know).

BTW the gold standard will be $1 for 100 credits.

20. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

So your above is missing a 0 after the 50 for $5 :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.