*** CLOSED BETA UPDATES & DISCUSSION/BUG REPORTS V ***

Discussion in 'Beta Discussion' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmishJoe

AmishJoe Member

Ok, on 4 damage missile, didn't know there was one, thought they were all 5,6, or 10. Lol shows how long its been since I played genari. As far as damage, no it didn't hold over next round, I was back at full shields the next round, battelborn didn't go last, I passed so I went last.

2. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

@Vesuvius_SWIE

Please have Alt-F4'ing from an active battle initiate an automatic warpout (possibly with pathing to the nearest border tile first) and cause your ship to sit in combat for the appropriate number of rounds for the ship size.

-Most definitely, that is an important feature of course, if a player rage quits, logs out, or gets disconnected in battle, the ship will automatically become AI, and find the nearest exit to warp out. Its on the 'to do' list before launch. -Vesuvius

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2017
  3. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

That's what happens, it shows the damage that happened in the previous round momentarily on the fresh shields, but then the shields do reset to full.

4. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Radiation should cause crew casualties IMO, not do hull damage.

5. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Explosions from reactors should extend a # of hexes based on engine size, not like matter is going to stop travelling in space given an initial accelerating force, but yes, it will diffuse.
    4 = 2^2, so it extends 2 hex (normally restricted to 2 anyway) dealing 2 1 0 0
    8 is 2^3, so 4 2 1 0
    16 is 2^4, so 8 4 2 1
    at 32, 2^5, explosion extends to 5 hex 16 8 4 2 1
    at 64, 2^6, explosion extends to 6 hex 32 16 8 4 2 1
    at 128, 2^7, explosion extends to 7 hex 64 32 64 8 4 2 1
    if anything else ever cleared 256 engine power, 2^8 (stations do) 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
    I don't think any station clears 512 power, but you get the idea.

6. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

-I actually had that as part of the game design, but some shortcuts had to be taken for now. It will be something to be worked on after launch. -Vesuvius

7. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Having ~10 seconds left on your clock and the phase auto ending or not accepting any more commands is so bullshit!

8. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Seems simple enough: Enemy fires from sector edge while you are on sector edge = hits wrong arc.

9. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

I was using evasion skills on helmsman btw.

The additive accuracy, even though it is wayyy OP, is the only thing that makes Gen playable, sadly. So those 60% accurate beams +35 are now 95% accurate from 1 to 7 range. Missiles base 40, 75% at 4 range (with booster) 82 88 95 at 1. Again, higher class ships dont really have the mobility to close the distance to use their weapons or the accuracy to use them at range, generally lacking in power and shielding in the Genari faction.... so I find their ships to be *barfs* Pointless to have great damage potential and marines if you can't get in to use them or land hits from range or afford to be in close if you manage to do so becase you just set yourself up to get punished and don't really have shields.

If you make the repair skill scalar based on max hull HP (2 4 6 8 12% rounded up) and even add in a 'hull reinforcement' bonus to the skill (+1 3 5 7 10% hull strength rounded up), then Gen would have their own style, favoring repairs over predictive shielding, each method with it's own pro's and con's. Right now, seems like Gen are just... handicapped. They don't have their way of doing things.

Sol = Range, Engine, Accuracy Shielding (Works great because they have the power and versatility to do anything, not the biggest damage potential, but plenty enough and from a safe distance)
    Gen = Damage, Marine pods, Hull (Doesn't work well because hull repair is fixed at a maximum of 12 points per round + additional repair points are required when taking crew or system damage, generally low mobility/engine, accuracy, and unable to use what they have effectively without putting themselves in great danger)

Hull and repair changes would effectively make Gen close-in hull brawlers, reckless and powerful on the offensively up close with a bit of disregard for taking damage (because of their repair abilities) while Sol would remain more reserved and fight from a distance as they must rely on their better shielding (one arc vs omni-repairs) to keep them safe as they fight from a distance, wearing out their opponents a bit more slowly with their relatively weaker firepower. I think this is what the factions should feel like.

10. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

So to give you some perspective at what I see, heres some numbers.....

A class IX Nova at 144 hull (Maybe let's say they get buffed to 200 with that update)
    + 10% hull from reinforcement = 220 hull
    + 12% (to the base 2) repairs = 26.4 rounded up to 27 + base 2 = 29 repairs per round
    Add in a max potential of 20 shielding and you have 49 max damage sustain from a single arc... but when tanking a station is concerned, ride the line for dual-arc protection, max damage sustain gains another shield arc for +20, bringing the total to 69 damage/round.

Sound like too much??? Not really, just different

Let's look at Sol ships and their shielding, keeping in mind that if they do not get Power Boost it is very difficult to use their big shields fully.

MIII Class VII = 81 hull, max shielding potential of 3x(7+6) = 39 per surface + 2 repair = 41 to a single arc... 2 classes below the Gen ship... OR 80 max damage sustain when defending with 2 shield arcs + the repair (39 + 39 + 2)

Yamato II = 120 hull or so (I forget, doesn't matter at this point), max shielding potential of 3(9+6) = 45 + 2 = 47 max damage sustain per single arc or 92 for a dual-arc defense.

Colossus = ~180 hull, max shielding (dunno why this is a 2... if anything it should be a 3 or even a 4) 2x(10+6) = 32 + 2 = 34 on single arc or 66 on dual-arc defense.

So if the repair and hull changes were made, Gen could 'tank' a comparable amount of damage to Sol ships, but do it in a different way, relying more on hull than shielding. Repair points are a given to be spent anywhere as needed while shielding must be pre-set and is very energy intensive (though with greater defensive potential) compared to relying on hull repairs.

See what I'm getting at? Enhancing the 'flavor' of the different factions while also balancing the game.

As is, both factions have the same exact benefits from the engineer (sortof, Sol gets more because Power Boost is scalar and Sol faction tends to have better engines), at least as far as repairs go... but Sol has far superior shielding.

So while Gen ships may get a hull increase... it is only a temporary benefit that they will take more of a beating before they go boom, while Sol ships and shielding grant much more 'staying power' on the field.

11. Vesuvius_SWIE

Hull changes are planned for Genari (+bonus armor points). But repair bonuses might be a good perk too, and Genari tend to be more industrious, efficient, and a lot more crew/ship.

12. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

That could work too, additional repair % based on number of crew! Much more logical

Leave the hull reinforcement based off of Max Hull though.

I want the officers and upgrades to be the same or similar in most cases, but the 'weight' of the upgrade should factor into the player's choice based on their ship (and variant) and faction.

If Gen ships tend to have significantly greater hull points and crew, then advanced engineering would be much more favorable to power boost, especially if their engines are already relatively smaller than similarly classed Sol ships, plus the use fission warheads along with their lack of shielding, making it so Gen ships generally don't need as much engine power.... except with their stupidly sized lasers... cmon dude... a 9 charge beam...??? Thats 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 = 20 power to max it out... Even sol ships have a hard time powering 5 beams like that, and the way damage bonuses work.... you get 50 to 90% of your damage from a single 1-power charge vs fully a powered weapon in most cases...

That's something else I've beat at awhile ago, but let it rest :p

1 charge + 2 officer + 2 range + 2 rally (perhaps) = 7 damage for 1 power... or add 8 more damage for another 19 power....

a 25% and 50% (rounded normally?) bonus per damage boost rank would be better balance for beams and make those inaccurate missiles worth the while to use up close.

The strongest beams charge to 9, which would give + 4.5 or 5 damage

If you put 1 charge on the beam, you get +.5 or 1 damage, requiring at least 3 charges to get + 2 damage (4 power)

Scalar scalar scalar! The static modifiers are EXTREMELY potent onthe low end and woefully lacking on the upper end.

Something like my favorite ship, the Sol Montana III, could still have the exact same damage output with only the 1 rank of +25% damage, you would simply have to apply at least 2 charges to get 2 + 0.5 = rounded to 3 damage per beam or max out at 4 charges for 4 + 1 = 5, the range bonus would remain the same... but I think that should be scalar too, such that you get a % bonus modifier to final damage based on distance and all other factors.

Normally, a Montanna III can max out at 35 damage at 1 or 2 tiles away (4 charges + 1 boost + 2 range = 7 dmg x 5 plasma beams), so let's keep the damage approximately the same... Range modifier changed from a static value of + per distance to some scale based on weapon type... Regular plasma beams:+50% at 1 tile away to (4 +1 [25% of 4]= 5) = 7.5 rounded up to 8 damage. a perk for being so very close to your targe, you shave a decimal in your favor. At 2 tiles, 40%, 5 + 2 = 7, at 3 30%, 5 + 1.5 = 7 still, at 4 hex, 20%, 5 hex 10% 6 hex and beyond 0% bonus damage.

To give a nice table
    +Max 4 charge plasma beam = 4 damage
    +25% Damage Boost (rank 1 max) = base damage modified to 5
    +50% at 1 tile = final damage 7.5 = 8
    +40% at 2 tiles = final damage = 7
    +30% at 3 tiles = final damage 6.5 = 7
    +20% at 4 tiles = final damage = 6
    +10% at 5 tiles = final damage = 5.5 = 6

Each type of weapon would have its own scale. Something like that anyway. Could round down and get the same exact numbers as before. The difference would be in weapons that are charged up to great base damage for extreme amounts of power.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  13. Vesuvius_SWIE

As things modify, its possible that Genari lasers would not show the yellow/red bars until much further down the charge. So the first 'red' would be on the 9th charge.

14. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

That was another idea I was considering along with overcharge: 50% of a beam weapon's normal rated maximum charge costs 1 power per, 50% is 2 power per and up to an additional 50% (unlocked by damage boost or innate to all beam weapons) can be overcharged at a rate of 3 power per. The tier breakpoints and cost per tier can vary by the type of beam.

Also, all beam weapons should be on a different accuracy system from other weapon types (currently just missiles), and their damage should be modified throughout the entire possible range:

Firing at max range might be at worst a 25% chance to hit, but also receives a (x 25%) final damage modifier. Reason being, energy dissipates/diverges (even lasers) over very long distances. Warheads carry the same explosive charge no matter what, but their range and chance to hit depends on fuel capacity, top speed, guidance, and maneuvering capabilities. More payload in a given sized missile = less room for other missile components, so chance to hit per unit distance and max range vary, but damage is independent of range.

Thats the short version anyway

15. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Amish, you would still be flying a corvette if you weren't abusing the hell out of alt-f4

If you aren't going to fight, then quit engaging me or my assault approaches. I could cry about how you are interfering with my testing if you like... sound familiar?

16. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

@Vesuvius_SWIE

Space stations are only repairing 2 points/round

-Reported -Vesuvius

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2017
  17. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

They were still tougher to fight because they seemed to be using all their weapons and charging shields (no system damage). However, I've devised a way to sustain their damage output long ago.

18. AmishJoe

AmishJoe Member

lol
    The real funny thing is that I didn't even know about alt-f4 until you told me, I had been just escape quitting.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  19. AmishJoe

AmishJoe Member

I have never seen accuracy so poor. Missing 95% shots all the time now. At least one of seven.

20. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Same thing, quitting mid-combat to instantly be safe when you otherwise should have to take several turns to warp out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.