Size 6 sectors, havens for small ship or death traps?

Discussion in 'Beta Discussion' started by Dalwin, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Dalwin

Dalwin Member

(deleted because no longer relevant)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Peroox likes this.
  2. Dalwin

Dalwin Member

So today another 3 high ranked Sol captains left the game including one in top 10 who deleted his account. His reason was that the game was hopelessly imbalanced and the devs did not even see or admit to the problems.

I sat in dock and watched as 1 Sol player logged in followed by 15 Genari. It is amazing how many people are comfortable playing on easy mode.

3. ben

ben Member

if that player is the one i am thinking of, then good, he called for every-one to join battle on the faction chat, and then complained the whole time because they where newbies and died.

He couldn't have it both ways,

They tried their best, BUT should not have been there, HE should not have called them in.

and if players want to slave for over 17 hours in un-winnable sectors, and then quit, don't blame the Devs for the players poor choice in over-all objectives of a Beta test.

This Blame the Devs is, thin.

You know your numbers Dalwin, you a smart man.
    Please don't take this the wrong way,

But i heard a certain group of people just laughing at new players early game, they had their bubble, and they sat in it and laughed,,,,,,
    "this guy" is an example,,, but i'm not naming him, or poking fun at him,,,, but it was be in the bubble or die ,,,,, the rest where left behind.
    AND, i've seen each development and seen each new ship, and seen every tactic that was developed to get ahead,
    One person took a major exploit and a team developed tactics to counter that,
    the other side developed tactics to counter that, and the arms race blew any newbie out of the water,

It's part of the wonder of the game, this back and forth, but the specialization that was developed to counter YOUR brilliant tactics of inter ship play, is what made the sides "un-balanced".
    YOU had the answers and the bubble followed,,,,,, the genari just got used to it and built teams to counter it.
    and we didn't bring enough new guys through,
    the patches changed things ,,, but that was at player request, and that blew your tactics apart. (all the whingers mate, they broke your tactics)

Grolack likes this.
  4. Dalwin

Dalwin Member

No, size 6 sectors which favor the better Gen T3 and T4 is why so many of our new players have not made it. The fact that the map has more of those than any other size is why Gen has nearly surrounded our home world. To have gotten rid of slow cap for two weeks (if we are lucky this Tuesday) without having a substitute in place, borders on negligence.

I used to spend a couple of hours every evening just sitting in the sector with our new T3s as they fought stuff, just to defend them from killer packs of Gen T4 and T5, but I can no longer do that.

So defend the devs if you choose to do so, but they have created some serious imbalance.

5. sathurn

sathurn New Member

The current system favors c4,c6,c8. Might need to rethink it. And have sectors for each class.

Or maybe we need to address the elephant in the room (speed), which make separating classes so necessary. If a Destroyer could not catch a Corvette (for point blank up the tailpipe shots every time) they could play on the same battlefield.

6. Suno

Suno Member

This is what i've been saying for ages haha.

Ves mentioned something about changing the way Stress Engines works so it boost your speed but your weapons are disabled. That + Hold timers and a lot of the balance issues are eliminated, now there's just a few ships that need to get tweaked and I think we are good.

7. Suno

Suno Member

You realize our Gorshkov has a base unitive of like 40 with upgrades captain and tac and 26 damage on its bar at full charge optimal range, if you actually leveled a c4 dalwin you would see we win the init game hands down. Its only actives like stress that create imbalance. Halifax has missile weapons and almost always break 31 init practically naked, with 14 damage on its bar.

Yes it requires more skill to play SOL, genari = ez mode and we need upgrades. However the Problem is not within the ships themselves.
    But yeah the map sizes need to be rethought around the home-world.

Some tips for your c4's put 3 points in advanced repair and then either dump two in stress engines or take advanced repair to 5 that's 1/4 of your health in healing a round take the obligatory med upgrades so you don't get face-rolled by marines bring Manv to 20% + get tactical advantage(this is a must) science officer is just personal preference and weapons officer is obvious. <-- Can promise no genari in the game will out maneuver you. Which is poorly implemented imo because you need to have those upgrades to compete.

The disparity between upgrades > no upgrades is pretty huge but i'm not sure there's much you can do about that without re-working the entire system.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  8. Midnightsun

Midnightsun Member

Officier sskills are reall strong. So a fully trained ship is like 1.5 classes better... I like the small sectors. Still if 2 t4 gen with fully trained crew attack you... you are screwed.. you cant protect yourself as these ships can run over the map and can appear close to you. So no hide and seek you have to run immeaditely. Worse are even sectors 8. T5 and t6 gen one shot you even running running. Their movement allows them to even kill any t4 of sol. So if there is a death trap its sector 8. Potentially reduce overall weapon output and damage. There is no strategy if simply 1 attack and game is over. Include features in the map worth fighting for. Resources ...gateways.... at the moment you are just clinging to the edge of the map

9. Suno

Suno Member

Victories are no doubt an issue, I'm glad ves is changing the stats on them to be more in-line with the other victories. Crew +2 and 20% Crew Healing can really mitigate pods, the officer tree for this has become my biggest qualm after a chat with Dalwin on Discord. Since you either choose to be reactive and reduce crew damage, or you take the cool-down in Chief Medical Officer.

Although like everything there is a work around:
    Purchase two t4's with one officer line go eme 5, and the other go Crew toughness + advanced med bays two. They can only use their pods once so if you have a gorsh 3(110 crew) with level 5 CMO(Chief Medical Officer) you can mitigate a lot of the crew damage however if you are forced to warp and can't repair the crew damage satisfactorily(which you should be able too if you have points in advanced repair which is a must for all c4's imo since everything else is garbage on them) immediately switch c4's to your EME5 ship(bad odds = less cool-down) warp back in and capitalize on all the damage done in previous turns + 0 marine pods. It helps if you have a variety of ships for different situations.

Some more tips for you in 6 sector battles:

:Take a support tender

:If someone warps in and puts you at a higher probability of death immediately use that turn for evasive maneuvers break sensor lock and be smart and unpredictable with your positioning(half the time i just do a 360 loop and pretend like i'm heading to the end of the map and circle around the enemy and hit them in the ass when they chase me, usually its the person that can find the enemy and attack first that has the upper hand especially if you prioritize initiative on your ship. This is where things like sensor shadow on my halifax come in handy because genari are so predictable lol.

:If you control all the vision on the map and use it to your advantage to preemptively strike even in mid combat you will win the fight 90% of the time.
    :Our ships are faster when upgraded, upgrade them.
    :Some turns I just sit in a corner for a while and watch till I know where everything is then I pick critical targets and plan out moves from there. Especially in High risk situations never rush think your moves out.
    :Obviously you have to be both incoming player aware, have enemy ship knowledge and be able to situationally position yourself well so you're not setting yourself up for the instant death.
    :coordinate with your fuggin team sol

EDIT: I just want to add these are solutions for dealing with the current Meta as SOL and I in no way think the game is perfectly balanced as is.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  10. FResh

FResh New Member

Size 6 sectors are perfect for new players to gain experience. At the moment it is the most fun and balanced fighting you can get in this stage of beta :) No big ships, no big guns, t3 ships have a fighting chance but it is better to bring in t4 for more survive-ability!