Genari Officers rework

Discussion in 'Beta Discussion' started by Beernchips, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Beernchips

Beernchips Member

As Genari officers are a bit behind Sol ones (Tactical need to reach full XP to compensate the lack of 5th officer, Marine officer useless for some Genari ships...), I suggest the following rework :

All officers can reach level 5 max
    Helmsman : No change

Chief Engineer : No change

Tactical Officer :
    Trained Marines ( 5 pts max) : Marines pods deals +2 mini /+1 max damage for each level
    Targetting (2 pts max) : Same as today . Once per round / 1 weapon have 20/40% chance to hit destroy a weapon
    Shield break (2 pts max) : Once per round / 1 weapon have 20/40% chance to destroy the shield generator of the attacked side
    Radiations (5 pts max) : Beam weapons deals 5/10/15/20/30% additionnal damages as crew casualties

Marine Officer --> Weapon officer :
    Accuracy (5 pts max) : 10/20/30/40/50% bonus accuracy
    Genari Overload (5pts max) : Same as today but with 20% scale
    Damage boost (2pts max) : +1/+2 damage to weapons (Side note : For Genari damage boost should apply only below 6 range and for Sol above 6 range)
    Weak spot (2 pts max) : Once per round/ 1 weapon deals 25%/50% additionnal damages to shield

Analyst Officer :
    Sensor boost (max 2 pts) : +1/2 sensor range
    Triangulation (max 2 pts) : Gain +1/2% hit chance for every Genari ship at 3 hexes or less from the targetted ship
    Hunting (max 2 pts) : Ennemies below 4/6 hexes cannot break tracking
    Targetting frame (max 2 pts) : If you deals hull damage : For this round, all genari ships gain 5/10% accuracy against the targetted ship. (Need to dock for reload)
    Fight calls (max 2 pts) : Gain +1/2 initiative if an enemy is inside your sensor range

ccX likes this.
  2. Dalwin

Dalwin Member

The "lack" of a 5th officer is actually a Genari advantage not disadvantage. The medic has 2 basic functions. One is only useful on ship you plan to buy repeatedly. This is the escape skill which saves some of your officers but forces you to earn all the cap points again before further promotion can be made.

The other medic skills all only exist to counter marines. They simply give some defense to a Genari trait built into their ships.

The medic offers nothing to help your ship defeat the enemy in any way. Having a 5th officer does not mean more bonuses, since these are marginal. What it does mean is more training cycles needed if you want to make any use of the 5th and least important officer.

IF looking to change officers, the change I see as most important affects both Genari and Sol alike. There are too many critical skills piled onto the engineer, and too few on some of the other officers. DMA should be moved away from the engineer. It seems like a natural fit on the science officer for sol. I am not sure which Genari would be best suited to take over this task. Naturally some minor skill from the affected officer would be moved back to engineering to balance out the size of the trees.

3. Beernchips

Beernchips Member

SO at least Medic had function. You also forget the skills that allows to "repair" crew for free at beginning of each turn which save some repair points when weapons kill crew. Can you explain the purpose of Marine officer on Genari ships with 0 marine pods?

Also Tactical has additionnal skill points for level 6 and higher so some genari ships works with 3 officers when Sol have 4.5 (Im OK to think Medic is only half a value of an officer). Evn if it is "marginal" bonuses it is still better to have them than not so i don t understand why having no bonuses is "Genari advantage"

4. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Key points to start with (refined, you were pretty close):
    -Tac officer is restricted to 1 upgrade per officer credit tier and only unlocks ranks 5-10 upon reaching full 50 credits. To preserve progression equality between factions, Gen Tac should be able to gain 2 upgrades per officer credit tier while still requiring the usual cooldown. (The original idea was to have it require EVEN MORE battles to progress beyond 5)
    -Marine officer does NOTHING on ships with no marine pods and little on many ships with relatively few pods or slow ships that cannot use pods.

From 0-49 officer credits, many Gen ships are limited to 3 worthwhile upgrades per credit tier while Sol can always get 5 upgrades per tier on any of their ships. This is something I've talked privately with V about for awhile now. He was considering a few options: Moving some Tac skills to Marine commander, duplicating some Tac skills on Marine Commander, or adding new skills to Marine commander. In any case, I think the Marine Commander would have to be given a new name.

Now go from there :p

Are you suggesting the Tac officer only gets 5 upgrade limit? I'm against that entirely.

Weapon officer? We have Tac already, leave Tac's skills where they are. Can rename Marine Commander and give it skills that benefit non-marine ships.

A new officer wouldn't fit right without reducing Tac to 5, which I'm against, and the new skills you are proposing either don't make sense or are way too OP and would also require the addition of Sol counterpart skills.

Example: What does 'Hunting' do ?? allow you to see/retain lock around obstacles?? You normally don't break tracking anyway unless a target leaves max scan range or LOS