Faction Spotlight: The Hive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

Sentient creatures that live and die in space, their ‘living ships’ are remarkable in how quickly they adapted to the aggression from the Genari invasion. While seemingly peaceful creatures that absorbed energy from nearby solar radiation, as well as absorbing organic matter from celestial bodies, they have reacted and adapted to their near extermination. Starting as ‘spores’, they gestate into protopods, which then develop and grow into larger forms. Learning to defend themselves from Genari warships, they are becoming ‘weaponized’, producing extensions that have become fearsome weapons still not understood by Sol or Genari scientists. The Hive reside in a very resource-rich region, and the Genari’s thirst for expansion has put them at ‘war’ with these creatures. The Sol Imperium is concerned that the continued conflict between the two may just make these creatures aggressive enough that they will start going on the offensive, even invading the adjacent Sol border. Some of the largest forms of the Hive Organics have become monstrosities the size of large cruisers, and they have discovered the ‘taste’… Human and Genari crews can be consumed as organic matter for their continued growth.

Attached Files:

2. GorillaT

GorillaT New Member

How did you guys come up with the name Hive?

3. EmeraldMoss

EmeraldMoss New Member

The Hive looks interesting... looking forward to playing them in the Beta.

4. Vesuvius_SWIE

Actually the Genari and Sol will be playable in Beta, we still have some ways to go before Ma'Alaketh and Hive are available. You will be able to play against them vs AI at the borders however. The skillsets/rulesets and advancement for the Hive is radically different from the three other races, thus far more difficult to implement. They will be the last race added for Multi.

Since 'The Hive' didn't name themselves, it was a term used by Sol Imperial Worlds (humans) to label them. The Genari call them 'the Organics'

1.jpg

5. darklord48

darklord48 Member

I welcome our Vorlon overlords.

SPiEkY likes this.
  6. NightWolf

NightWolf Member

When you say they are weaponized, what form of offensive weaponry do they have? Or do they attack physically?

7. darklord48

darklord48 Member

Interstellar archer fish.

SPiEkY likes this.
  8. Vesuvius_SWIE

They have several different attributes unlike the three other races. Besides a 'plasma wave' and a focused energy beam, they have a 'proboscis' that 'absorbs' organic material. This organic material can be found from wrecked ship debris, or by actually penetrating the enemy ship with the 'proboscis'. Damn that sounds phallic.
    Anyway the organic material it absorbs can be used to repair the hive ship. It does not have a force field; so it relies on this ability to 'auto heal'.
    HVE5neolith.jpg

9. Krackenhead

Krackenhead New Member

So the sun shines out their .....
    I don't think I want to be probed quick some call Scully and Mulder ..

10. lefty

lefty Member

Any more news on the Hive? Maybe juicy pics

11. Vesuvius_SWIE

12. Hexxx

Hexxx Member

The big picture looks like the Babylon 5 shadow ships. Cool designs.

13. Kampel

Kampel New Member

If they dont have crew members arnt Hives immune to boarding tactics?

darklord48 likes this.
  14. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup New Member

When the hive becomes available as a playable race, what will the player 'hive captain' profile look like? They don't seem to have faces.

15. Vesuvius_SWIE

Missed this question until now -- The hive are so different from the 3 other races that their functionality and even GUI is radically different. They don't have 'headshots' because there are no individual captains or crew, so their avatars are still TBD. We've been thinking of some sort of neural structure image as the representation.

16. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

Or you could make them look like my avatar :cool:

17. Vesuvius_SWIE

Actually Hive is extremely vulnerable to boarding. Essentially if marine pods end up attaching to the ship, the marines break into the carapace and fire away at the 'internal organs' of the creature until the marines succumb to the environmental pressures. So essentially marine attacks don't kill crew in this case, but do 'hull point' damage.

Kampel likes this.
  18. SirElric

SirElric Member

The hive seems more and more interesting and different, I wonder if it will be tougher or easier to play.

19. Coser

Coser Active Member

And with no shields, they should be quite easy prey to boarding pods - compared to vessels with shields at least!

SirElric,
    I believe that Vesuvuis has already answered that in another thread. [dang memory] IIRC, they will be the hardest race to play well. Having said that, I am still looking to ram a proboscis into a tin can and get at all the little, crunchy morsels inside myself.

20. Vesuvius_SWIE

Another question I must have missed -- the 'Hive' has been termed that in the Novel's lore, by the Sol Imperial Worlds. The Hive themselves don't really call themselves anything. And the Genari don't call these creatures the 'Hive', but the 'Organics'.