credit purchases

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by obnosis, Feb 8, 2018.

1. obnosis

obnosis New Member

seeing that all credit purchases were reset after the last server are we to assume they are not permanent (across multiple servers/characters)?
    or was this just an "end of beta" thing and they will become permanent from now on?

2. Midnightsun

Midnightsun Member

Even if we had won free credits and some bought some credits I am a bit miffed that even ships you unlocked previously for credits are now locked for example "predator".

As well in a "Beta locking all Ships? Shouldnt we try all ships or is this now the officla start of the game?

3. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

The game costs $5000 a week to support. Should the game be free indefinitely? The ships can be 'tested' in the simulator.

4. Midnightsun

Midnightsun Member

So you will have to rebuy ships each time the Server restarts?

5. Beernchips

Beernchips Member

I don t see a problem with credits to get ships, the problem I see now is the cost, 200 creds (so roughly 2€) is really to much in my opinion.

6. Vesuvius_SWIE

I've had to be at my other job all day today, but I will be manually adding the veteran award for the top50 players from last server, which both of you were on; that gives another 1000 credits.

7. obnosis

obnosis New Member

No offense, but you did not understand/answer my question. I do not expect a free game nor am i talking about bonus credits but about steam purchases. I just want to know what i am buying. Because i was under the impression that a bought ship remains in your account. That way i could buy different ships in different servers until i get all i want.
    But now it seems i will only pay for one-time use of the ship (1 war only).
    So midnight has put it right. "Do we have to rebuy all ships when a server resets?"

8. Vesuvius_SWIE

Yes, any unlocks are for that server only (including portraits etc..).

9. Beernchips

Beernchips Member

So minimum 400 creds for a t4 (so 4€ and more) that can be used only in 1 server?
    If you want a set up of t4 + t6 +t7 its 20€ (the price of a complete game) but you unlocked only 3 ships for 1 faction out of 4 and for 1 server? I mean really?
    I agree that the balancing of variants is on a good way but for the moment some v3 are vastly superior than standard (cough liv 3, oslo 3 cough)

10. Vesuvius_SWIE

players are still obsessed with Liverpool III, but it only benefits in power; on every other aspect it loses out to the two other variants.

You can get up to 4000 credits from participating in a previous server, so yes you can 'grind' for quite a bit of credits that would cover a considerable amount of unlocks.

11. Beernchips

Beernchips Member

Problem with credits from previous server it is that they don t help new players.
    A new player will just look at what he can get now and with the current prices

About liverpool : thet additionnal weapons / shields for variant 1 and 2 don t means much when you don t haveenough power to use them

12. Baalrog

Baalrog Member

I dont mind buying the ships i am interested once. But rebuying them every time the server resets doenst make sense to me even if i get some credits from the previous server. Especially if i want to try different ships i would prefer to have them on the next server also or at least be able to buy them at a discount.
    I can understand the financial reason behind it, but i am skeptical this is the way to go.

13. Zuuwly

Zuuwly New Member

In business models such as this , the price for 'buying' your way into the ships, vehicles, models is usually a lot higher but there is also a way to in game grind your way into the same ships, models ,vehicles with the usual exception of special cosmetic versions that become not for purchase after a time and so very rare.

In my opinion the way this game is now is perfectly ok apart from one difference . The ability to still get those varients without paying.
    I propose that you put in a high cost in honor/leadership points for those varients so if free players want to they can still grind for them ( perhaps double hp/lp?). If they dont have the time to do this then they can purchase them once every few months.

Maybe also drop the amount of credits people get from being in the top 50 , to increments thereof 50, 40, 30 etc.

This would still promote leaderboard gameplay but would not make it more important than team gameplay.
    Also new players to the game without previous gameplay would also see a way into the different ships and would not be put off by a pay wall .

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  14. Baalrog

Baalrog Member

I agree with Zuuwly that it would be helpful for more casual players like me to get the bigger ships and still be able to upgrade it.
    Due to RL commitments i can regularly play between 10 and 20 hours a week; which isnt much in comparison to other people. Therefor it will take considerably longer to get the leadership points and also the necessary capture points for upgrading a ship. Therefore it would be helpful to be able to pay for a ship with credits or buy leadership/capture points.
    Dont know if its the right way to go about to give more casual players a better chance to compete since it might also be abused by more hardcore players depending on the way it might be implemented.
    It is always hard to balance a game between more casual players and "hardcore" players.

Looking forward to hearing the thoughts of others, which might help the developer with his decisions.

15. Vesuvius_SWIE

My biggest concern with that of course, is that the gamer brain who thinks these are all pay to win will see the inflated XP costs as = to how much better they are, aka the XP cost of the variant being 2x for non-credit users must mean that its 2x stronger than the base ship.

16. Zer0CoolAZ

Zer0CoolAZ Administrator Staff Member

I could also see something along the lines of a weekly login bonus or something. User logs in and gets something like 50-75 credits as a sort of return bonus in a sense. Keep it small enough not to totally skew the ingame economy, but at the same time promotes the returned activity.

Zuuwly and dbK like this.
  17. dbK

dbK New Member

I agree with this. I think it would benefit the game overall in terms of making more people stay (especially the new players) or at least play a bit from time to time when they log in to get they "bonuses".
    Maybe put a daily reward instead of weekly and lower it. Something like 5-10 credits a day and when you hit 7th consecutive day you get some more.

Zuuwly likes this.
  18. JBHemlock

JBHemlock New Member

I'm an older player with all the demands on my time that come with that - job, family, etc. I can appreciate the ability to buy a ship unlock. I'm not a fan of "pay to win" games, but this seems like purely a trade between time and money. Not to mention which, the developers need to be paid and the lights have to be kept on. If I enjoy a game, I'm happy to pay for it.

Zuuwly and dbK like this.
  19. Zuuwly

Zuuwly New Member

I understand that there is a limited time that the programmers have to work on all the things in game and that this is just the beginning and so take what I say next with an understanding of such.
    First , the cost of ships for credits and honour/leadership needs to be separated. Either one or the other .
    Two clear game currencies. Grind time - hp/LP cost and pay to play - credits.
    Paying to get into a bigger ship will still not happen as you are limited by Captain rank as to the size/ tier ship you can command.
    Ships are only really good once they have officers which still need to grind.
    Not pay to win.
    You need to change the wording of 'ship purchase' to ' ship hire ' per server so people are aware of the difference.
    You can then sell permanent game unlocks of ships for a much higher cost .
    Next , you should make clear that the first ship you get is your ''free play" ship and that is all .
    Next , all ships should be able to advance in officer points.
    Now this brings up the question of cool down timers and entering sectors repeatedly .
    1st make the campaign cool down timer for the person not the ship (maybe it takes time to be rescued or the debriefing for fleeing a battle is very long)
    Now do away with cool down timers for T3 and below as it's no longer needed since the players can no longer return in cheap (free) ships straight back to the same battle.
    While you're at it - half the cool down timer for T4's too. 2.5 days base time is too long for T4'S.
    As I am just a player and lover of this game these are quite clearly just my observations and opinions that I think may help long term .
    I hope some find them relative .

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    dbK likes this.
  20. Baalrog

Baalrog Member

I disagree with the basic assumption from Zuuwly that all ships should be able to be purchased by just unlocking them with gameplay. I think that the standard model should be purchasable with just leadership points. The variants should be buyable with credits and maybe leadership points, since the game needs to refinance. To make it worthwhile, the variants should have some perks to the standard model which give the maybe one or two officer skills as a feature in addition to the standard model features.

Generally speaking there needs to be more variety to spend credits and use them ingame if the game should generate some income.

Maybe Vesuvius could let us know if there are any plans in regard to this and along what lines. Might also help with keeping players interested.