Unable to Log In - Throttling?

Discussion in 'Beta Discussion' started by Xeen Dread, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Chances are I'm not the only one in this boat:

For the past couple of weeks I've been noticing that I am unable to log in to the game (to see server select/captain name) during certain hours of the day. Instead, I am met with an endless swirling circle of doom after a brief hitch shortly after client launch, which usually results in server selection, but not during these times.

This has happened on both my laptop and my home PC (2 different machines, 2 different networks, same results on each) at around the same times across several days (when I was available to attempt to play at those times and observe the trend, probably was happening on other days when I couldn't check) and even on the same day in the case of going to or from lunch to the other rig.

If the trend holds true, I'm expecting to be able to access the game in 2-3 hours from the time of this post.

I have no idea what would be causing this issue, and the only commonality I can think of other than the game itself is steam and my steam account. Normally I have zero connection problems from my home PC, occasionally run into them from my laptop at work, but that is not the case at this time.

Anyone know if steam throttles connections to some apps during certain times of the day?

I've tried signing out of my steam account and logging back in only to launch the game and watch the swirling circle.

If it matters:
    -I have an old ass steam account
    -I play from the Central time zone, US

2. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Could it have something to do with not having spent money in the steam store (the $5 anti-spam/bot/hack/burner-account 'feature')? Pretty sure I have since I own Fallout 4 and a few other games, but is it a possibility?

3. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Still locked out, expecting another hour until it lets me in :p

This is what I've seen for hours:
    Swirling Doom.jpg

4. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

still waiting too.

5. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Yeah, I know, it's weird. Seems exactly like a couple weeks ago where I couldn't ever connect between 1-6 pm local time from 2 different machines and connections.

Not an ISP/router thing, as I am able to do everything else normally from either connection (like communicate here on the forums), and I had tried resetting things the first time I ran into this.

I'd expect an 'unable to connect' or 'server down' or 'YOU ARE BANNED NOOB, GG' or some kind of message from the game, but it just sits there... swirling... taunting me while know others are on.

6. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

It could just be that different regions are being granted access at different times. I dunno. I coulda swore I was told 10AM Arizona time, which would be 11AM local time today (about 7 hours ago). I'll just keep pressing the proverbial F5 :p

Whoever got in needed a head start vs. me anyway, right?

7. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Hmm, just got early access email at 7:00 PM on the dot, local time.

However, I am still staring at the swirling doom.

8. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

@Vesuvius_SWIE done blocked me to give Gen a head start!!

C4 is easy to get to, especially for Gen's cheap ships and strong low tiers vs Sol's derpy AI high bounty ships :p

9. Vesuvius_SWIE

lol I haven't been able to get in either, and I need to sleep soon.

10. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Still having this problem, not sure if it is ISP, Steam, or Game related.

Seemingly randomly unable to reach login servers. Might play for hours on end, but then certain times of day - Swirling Doom.

11. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Lucky you...

I've been trying to log in for 3 hours now, missing tons of play time and officer upgrade rotation.

12. Vesuvius_SWIE

I'm here, but can't get into my own game lol

13. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

This is brutal, and I can't tell if it is related to ISP/Networking or Steam.

Hell, you know I'd be topping the charts, but having missed 24 hours of game time to date.... that's a huge chink in my officer progression and overall XP earning potential.

So very demoralizing playing with both hands tied behind my back.

14. Vesuvius_SWIE

I'm still locked out...

15. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

I was able to log in about an hour ago after being locked out all day.... and I took my last 2 vacation days (had to use before end of year) to play... kinda shitty that I'm not able to get in until after 5 pm when I would have been off of work anyway !!!!

16. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Locked out last night at 11:45 local time. Still locked out this morning just before 7 AM local time.

Severely impeded officer upgrades (Captain Efficient Training has been useless) and XP gain and meeting/teaching different groups of people from different time zones.

17. Vesuvius_SWIE

I have the same problem too; last night I got in for about 15 mins, then haven't been able to connect since. For me, its something to do with steam (it wont load up properly)

18. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with my connection that I can determine on my end from firewall to AV to speed tests to router, etc, etc, etc. Either there is a problem in one of the network hubs, steam, or the game itself.

I CAN play the game just fine for several hours out of the day, but some unknown event occurs at any random time and blamo, infinite load screen for login, reloging/restart nothing helps.

What time @Vesuvius_SWIE ? I was unable to relog at around 11:45 central time. I had been relogging occasionally, perhaps as recently as 11:30. Should be 2 hours ahead of you if I'm not mistaken.

19. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Accessing the game from an alternate steam account seems to be flawless, but the mystery doesn't end here, oh no.

Why are some accounts being restricted?
    Why can we access the game some of the time, quite randomly allowed or unable to connect, and not perma-restricted?
    Is it because of our account types (such as admin, dev, tester, master tester)?
    Is it because of achievements earned during closed tests and some weird interaction with steam?
    Is it because of the age of our accounts or number of logins in a given time?
    Is it some other automated anti-cheat system gone wrong?
    Is it some fluke where the server thinks it is full and cannot accept any more accounts/accounts of a certain type?
    What will happen to other players (the new people now) 8 months down the line or less when they have earned similar sets of achievements and hours logged and everything else???

Clearly there is a problem and it almost certainly seems to be tied to the steam account used to access the game... but why?

20. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Locked out since latest patch 2 hours ago.

Alt account logs in and out just fine.