Dear Captain eXe,

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Veryan, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Veryan

Veryan New Member

Dear Captain eXe,
    Can you please explain how you are consistently going first and firing multiple weapons?
    I don't know enough about Sol so its baffling me.
    Thank you
    ~space debris

2. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

He probably has a ship with high initiative (eg. Mendi III that has 21 power), and sol initiative skill gives him a 'first play' boost as well.

3. TheMaster

TheMaster New Member

^ This
    and it helps if you spend power wisely.
    Initiative moves with it.

4. Veryan

Veryan New Member

Got it, the Mendi III is fast ;)
    I'll look more into its stats, I remember seeing them somewhere on the forum.
    I'll also start fleeing as soon as I get hit by him the first time in my default ship since even when I put full power to my engines he's still faster and able to shoot me.

5. Dalwin

Dalwin Member

The people who are feeling victimized by faster ships are in general spending too much power on shields. The one extra point in damage absorption is usually going to do less to keep you alive than being higher in the initiative order will and the ability to move further away will do to keep you alive.

6. Veryan

Veryan New Member

To be clear why I opened the thread.
    I was very puzzled when my ship with nothing powered except the engine, was still getting attacked 2 or 3 times before I could act.

If its a 21 point engine though, compared to my 16 (I think), that would explain it.
    I didn't realize the engine gaps were that large.

7. TheMaster

TheMaster New Member

+ Every Ship Type has it's own Bonus. The Mendi on SOL and Agile Flyer on Gen has +2 Initiativ extra ontop of the engine. Others have Undestroyable Engines or weapons etc.

8. canbeen

canbeen Member

Small initiative bonus like what master said, together with 1 powered lasers that do 2 damage at close range.
    Also there are alot of officer skills that increase initiative including all skills that increase movement n engine. These can add up to 15 or more points? Since he probably has medical officer skills that makes his officers invunerable, he'll always have these hugh bonuses on his mendi no matter how many times he has to re-buy.
    PS: from the damage he does, he must already have +1 or +2 damage officer skills, which means lvl 3-4 officer. This also explains how he can do lots of damage and still be faster than u.. each single powered laser do 4 damage.
    Against a C4,5 he can travel across the map in 1 turn n still do almost 15+ damage. Even if he dies in 1 turn, he can just re-buy n repeat the next turn. How long can C5 last before it Kabooms? Maybe 2-3 rounds against a Kamakazi team lol. I think that's his reason for using mendi instead of mendi3? Don't even want to spend a nickel on an expandable ship that can outgun big ships with the above strategy.
    So much for Gen having early game advantage. :p

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  9. canbeen

canbeen Member

Hi Ves,
    I was thinking, the real scaled price of C3 is around 200-400 points, but u price it at 17-22 or free, to act as a fall back for people who lost everything to make a comeback right? If so, Kamakazi with undead powerful Sol officers at no risk at all seem to be a form of abuse because u're supposed to reward risk taking.

If I'm Sol, I would use this tactics too, but will recognise the loophole and still ask for correction.. Is it possible to differentiate, say players with < 1k points on hand (and with no above C2 ships in dock, to prevent purposeful buying of ships to qualify) will get the discounted price. More than that, they will have to pay the actual price?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  10. Sunon

Sunon New Member

I don't know exactly how it would go balance wise, but if they did end up implementing something like that, they could probably have it linked to the same system as the PvE missions. Have it so that up until around a certain captain level they will have the reduced cost. Then once you hit that certain captain level, they go back to normal cost.

11. canbeen

canbeen Member

Yup, it's another good criteria to have.

12. Sire of Suns

Sire of Suns New Member

I would note that I put all most of my power to engines in an Agile Fighter IV (I put my lasers up to power lvl 1, just in case).
    A Mendi III ran up to me (near the edge of the map), fired all of their lasers (turning as needed), and then flew across to the other side of the map. This happened again, with another Mendi III in the same match.
    I then died to an Orchis I.

All before I got my first turn.

I was... Not happy.

13. Vesuvius_SWIE

I think some sort of method can be set up, where once a player gets to a certain rank, say, 2-star captain, that the corvettes no longer come as cheapies, but cost their actual original price (which was 100-220). Its not that much more expensive, but not cannon fodder either.
    The risk is of course, that if that person loses their frigate, other ships etc... now they will end up eventually not being able to afford a ship. An essential dead end (+ bonus rage quit).

14. Vesuvius_SWIE

And Dear Captain eXe, where did you go?

15. Sire of Suns

Sire of Suns New Member

Hmm. If they still get their "free" ship, that could be okay.

16. revinance

revinance Moderator Staff Member

i think playing t3's with no real risk is a lot of fun when everyone does it. issue is that t4's can easily be taken down by t3's. t5's don't really have that problem anymore.

17. canbeen

canbeen Member

May I suggest a 2 step check for steep discount/free qualification.
    1st step is of course the captain level. Below a level, C3 is always cheap.
    2. After that level, the player is checked on the amount of current leadership/honor he has. If he is rich, why subsidise him to play C3? This also need to check that he had no C3 and above combat ships to qualify, because we want to prevent 'gaming' the system by purposefully buying ships to make yourself poor.