Server Balance

Discussion in 'Beta Discussion' started by Trogit, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

Their tier two ship -- the Little Stinger -- has a singular missile weapon that does 3-4 damage. That does not one-shot kill. If there is a bug, that is a different story, hence why this game is being playtested in early beta. If you see something like that happen, then get a screenshot of it, so I can figure out why the missile is doing that much damage.

2. Coser

Coser Active Member

Never seen a one-shot kill from a Genari, their craft are generally not set up for it. They need to get practically into contact with you for their beam weapons to take maximum effect or to launch boarding parties. If you can keep them at range, they are much weaker enemies. [and if they do get that close, they take the risk of also being taken out by your explosion.]

Don't forget either that the weapon in question may have been enhanced with the skill "Overload" at the time. Maximum level on that skill gives 300% extra damage, so that T2 missile could just have gone from a 3-4 damage to a 12-16 damage for a single shot. Couple that with "Lucky Shot" and is was 80% more likely to hit. If it had hit an unshielded facing then it's certainly 'BOOM' time for any Sol T3. Anything much over minimum damage in that scenario means it's gone through the shields hardly noticing them as well.

One on one, my T3 Orchis 4 can take out ANY T3 Genari and can take on most if not all of their T4 ships under the same conditions. Sol has the advantage on range and accuracy at the very least, so used with the correct set-up you should be able to get the first hit in, possibly to an unshielded ship. The T4 Liverpool just takes that philosophy and doubles down on it. I can only imagine what the Swordfish does!

3. gegener

gegener Member

i repeat my self but its me who kill valhalla and its not somthing strange i do it againt 2/3 of the class 3 sol ship (doesnt work againt the class 3 def ship) but other class 3 sol ship played by ia or player are one shoot by me at zone S-808 with my little class 3 ship

now i give to this ship some crew member option to boost accuary power speed etc... just tu make more xp/day :p

4. Valhalla Awaits

Valhalla Awaits New Member

Aye, but I had a lvl 2 npc pirate use the same weapon as yours, I figured the npcs were just overpowered till I saw you use it as well. It's absurd to think any development team would think this is balanced.

It's a class 2 genari interceptor missile that does 10 hull damage and bypasess shields, npcs use it too. It's happened twice now.

5. gegener

gegener Member

you are right!!!
    the class 2 have the fission missile 10 dmg on the front :eek:

i understand you but you can kill it befor he fire (7 hull point+1field)

i think there is a need to change the dmg OR the range for exemple power 5 (yes i will cry a river but its for the game) or range 2 (come on kill me with your crazy missile you will take my aoe explosion :p)

6. Valhalla Awaits

Not if he spots you first, which is what happened in both cases.

7. Vesuvius_SWIE

I repeat myself -- please read. If the missile is doing 10 damage, then its a bug. Its supposed to do 4.
    I'm going to reassign all Genari ships with GSEFW-4's with GSEFW-3's and see if it makes a difference. If it does, then it means that the FW-4 has some strange bug associated with it.

8. Vesuvius_SWIE

I just saw there was a data entry error, the GSEFW-4 had a range of 25!!!!! It is supp0sed to be 5 range. And the weapon coefficient was at 2.5 which basically means it was doing double damage. I've corrected the problem.

SPiEkY likes this.
  9. gegener

gegener Member

can y cry a river?

;)

10. Valhalla Awaits

Thanks, I was seriously hoping that was just a bug and not intended. :p

11. gegener

gegener Member

its not abug its a alpha bonus :p

12. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Corvettes are the best ships, and those defense drones/mines do nothing to stop a rush :p

Now the battle stations and higher with shielding and repair capabilities in excess of the damage a single corvette can do in 1 turn, those prevent territory capture.

Looking forward to the 200 x 200 sized maps where a corvette cannot sweep the entire board and dual-turn alpha strike for 50+ damage!

Suggest that you increase XP gains of the faction with less player activity (not necessarily less members), for that, you would have to track the faction-hours of each side.. of course people sitting afk will skew the numbers, but its a better system than:
    '400 vs 500 captains, the 400 side gets a 25% xp boost to make them operate like 500'

If one side has 300 very active players logging an average of 6 hours per day for 1800 faction-hours and the other side has 500 players that only log an average of 2 hours a day for 1000 faction hours... you see where I'm going? Player count isn't the best metric. Faction hours are better, but still not perfect. Perhaps you could put in some sort of idle check or only count hours when a player is engaged in a combat sector (either a 'mission' zone, hostile territory, defense of an attacked territory, etc., don't count hours in an uncontested territory, spacedock, or sitting on galaxy map).

Some brief thoughts on the topic :)

Very much looking forward to when tackling these problems will matter!

-One thing I can do that is pretty simple in server balances is raising or decreasing the XP value of certain ships. If a ship type becomes very popular, it gets raised, others decreased. Same goes for race XP value. Its like the idea of supply vs. demand. -Vesuvius

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  13. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Is it weird if I go back to read some of my old posts and think 'damn that was a good idea' after having long forgotten what I said? I like to look at what the problems were then, my suggestions, and how things have changed.

This is why I write down my suggestions and thoughts when I have them. I know I give a lot and sometimes even harsh criticism. It's for the betterment of the game though.

The game really has come a long way!

14. TommyBZ

TommyBZ New Member

Seems the genari have the edge right now as far as I can tell.

15. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Genari Corvettes and Frigates equal or outmach Sol ships.

The real edge is the Genari marine pod, which can give a HUGE amount of XP if you have the skills stacked for it (Marine commander officer + Captain) and it is also a guaranteed win if you successfully board a Sol Class IV or lower. Marine pods need some adjustment on XP and potency and a Class factor too (both the class of the ship using the pod and the target of the pod attack should weigh in on the results).

The kicker is that the key Sol advantage has been disabled since forever and doesn't look like it will be implemented any time soon: Escape pods (preserve officers as per medical officer skill tree).

In the upper Classes, Sol ships win.

At this time, Genari need to play a rush and suppress game while Sol need to play a tactical contain and survive till power game.