Faction Spotlight: The Hive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Hexxx

Hexxx Member

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but does the proboscis thing that sucks out crew penetrate shields or do you have to take it down?

2. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

Yes, shields will not protect against proboscis; so all the other races are on the same playing field when it comes to this.

3. Coser

Coser Active Member

But again, I reason that it has to be adjacent to use it, so you have 2 choices, gun it down before you reach it, or get out of Dodge.

Given the fact that boarding pods need to be fired from adjacent range, I can see Genari not wanting to tangle with the Hive. You slam it with a boarding pod, it turns in place and slams it's proboscis through your bridge. Your marines damage it's structure, it repairs by feasting on the rest of your crew. Practically a stalemate until the Genari run our of crew.

4. Kampel

Kampel New Member

Wouldnt the Hive creature just digest the boarding party? would that be upgradeable at least?

5. Vesuvius_SWIE

The boarding party would expire after a while; but no, they wouldn't be digested, since they are essentially attacking its internal organs, and not going through its 'mouth'.

Coser likes this.
  6. Vesuvius_SWIE

A listing of the 'Classes' of the Hive:

Class I Spore
    Class II Protopod
    Class III Neopod
    Class IV Protolith
    Class V Neolith
    Class VI Monolith
    Class VII Megalith
    Class VIII Hive Entity
    Class IX Greater Hive Entity
    Class X Supreme High Entity
    Class XI Gargantuan

7. Coser

Coser Active Member

Sounds rather like the film "Fantastic Voyage". Do enough damage and the creature's antibodies target you as an invading organism. I like the sound of the Hive more and more.

8. JansenC

JansenC Member

I'm definitely curious as to what the other hive ships would look like. Any new ships in the pipeline?

9. Vesuvius_SWIE

All focus is on Genari/Sol, once the Beta gets on its way, then the focus will be on Ma'Alaketh first. Also, Hive is going to be a lot more complicated, where as a playable race its more of a ship that 'morphs' into various types based on what the player decides to improve, vs. a fixed ship in other races. You literally select if you want to improve a specific system/armor etc... and the ship will grow and develop that area & express it physically.

10. CpZen

CpZen Member

It definitely makes the Hive even more interesting if you can customize your ship this way. I hope it gets there.

11. Coser

Coser Active Member

Oooh, yes, I like that idea immensely. Obviously as the Hive have no crew as such, another mechanic would have to have been implemented, but this is really something to look forward to longer term.

12. Potkeny

Potkeny Member

I liked The Hive even before this, but now I'm sure I'll play them when available.

13. Kuwanger

Kuwanger New Member

So the hive proboscis, I'm guessing that is like an insect's proboscis, I'd be curious to see what it looks like in action.

14. Vesuvius_SWIE

Incidentally, we're working on the animations the past few weeks for the Hive. Of course, the more you zoom in, the better the details in these cases.

15. JansenC

JansenC Member

If it ever gets properly implemented, I think the hive will be the most rewarding race to play. For now, I just like entering their borders, and seeing them blast my freeship lol

16. NightWolf

NightWolf Member

random question, I noticed that the maalaketh weapons had a facelift and sound upgrade, will the hive have it too?

17. Zer0CoolAZ

Zer0CoolAZ Administrator Staff Member

So far, the Hive seems to be something that would be an interesting play style. I look forward to the chance to toy around with this species.

18. MLocke

MLocke Member

I've seen hive attack some borders lately. Is it AI or players doing it? They even captured some sectors.

19. Decimus

Decimus New Member

So Ves, has there been any further development of the Hive recently, or has the focus entirely been on Maal?

20. Vesuvius_SWIE

Focus is completely on Maal, then next server I move to start working on Hive.