Officer Spotlight: Sol Helmsman

Discussion in 'The Shipyard & Guides' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

One of the five Sol Officers is the Helmsman -- who has control over movement of the ship in combat situations. There are 12 skills available to this Officer:

0HELMSMAN.jpg

Since the Helmsman has 5 levels, it means that you can only pick up to 5 out of these 12 skills.
    * The prime skillset it the Evasive Skill, which improves dramatically at level 5.

The Helmsman levels up from Experienced -> Expert -> Master -> Veteran -> Elite
    experience.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  2. NightWolf

NightWolf Member

Can you define how initiative works?

3. MLocke

MLocke Member

So say you have evasive V, and the enemy has accuracy V, would that cancel each other out?

4. Vesuvius_SWIE

INITIATIVE: Its the total movement points you have in that round. Whomever has the most movement points for the round has the highest initiative. So this initiative skill artificially boosts it by 3 points. So eg. if you allocated 8 movement points for your ship, this makes it 8+3= 11 initiative points. This skill is especially good for slower ships.

Indeed Locke, if the enemy has +30% to hit, but you have -30% on evasive, it essentially neutralizes each other. Other factors come into play as well, range, accuracy of the weapon itself, the Ma'Alaketh dampening field etc...

5. Lesiak

Lesiak Member

So my take on it is that smaller ships tend to go first over bigger ships, which helps weaker players, nice.

6. JansenC

JansenC Member

Take the Orchis Scout and add maneuverability and you'll be able to zip around the map. Speed is the key!

Coser likes this.
  7. Jmp2x

Jmp2x Member

I think Evasive can be great, because once your opponent finds out you're hard to hit, they'll go target someone else. Think of the player psychology on it...

8. ShadowJudge

ShadowJudge Member

Evasive 3 + Maneuverability 2

9. Coser

Coser Active Member

I'm thinking more of Orchis 4, with the skill Evasive 5 from the helmsman, plus the skills that enhance your sensor and weapon range, reduce the enemy sensor range, plus probably anything that gives bonus damage, accuracy 5.

"Hit First, Hit Hard" *

* and from a very long way away!

10. Jmp2x

Jmp2x Member

I might be zoned out this late at night, but where are the stats for the Orchis 4?

11. NightWolf

NightWolf Member

1.jpg
    Trying to calculate how much initiative an orchis has if you put full power into movement. 18 power for the ship =18 initiative and the 2 point bonus = 20?

12. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

I'd also like to see the Genari Helmsman details, haven't seen it posted yet.

13. Vesuvius_SWIE

Actually it is a little more complex than that -- a Class III ship gets 2 movement for every power point applied to movement. I will post a chart soon so you can see how movement point ratios work.

14. Hexxx

Hexxx Member

Yes is there a Genari helmsman chart or Genari engineer?

15. Vesuvius_SWIE

Indeed, I need to post them. They aren't as important, because their skillsets are identical to Sol. Here's Genari's Helmsman chart:
    0HELMSMANG.jpg

16. TommyBZ

TommyBZ New Member

Whether I play Sol or Genari, evasive is first on my list of upgrades.

Coser likes this.
  17. Warshoe

Warshoe Member

Just a clarification, so if you put all power to shields and weapons (and scanners say) and had 0 for movement, the maneuverability skill would still give you movement points?

18. Vesuvius_SWIE

Yes, the maneuverability will always give you extra points on each combat round.

19. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Doesn't work that way anymore. It is a % bonus to MP based on power remaining after allocation.

20. Nickman77

Nickman77 Member

I stick to evasive on this officer, but I wish there was a way to know for sure that it's working. Since I don't have a PVP partner I can't tell if my opponent (in this case AI) misses the shot more than it should. But 30% is pretty nifty if it works.