Server Balance

Discussion in 'Beta Discussion' started by Trogit, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Trogit

Trogit New Member

What methods will be in place to help keep a balance between factions, particularly on a newly started server? For example, if majority of new players pick Sol and quickly capture a large section of the galaxy within the first couple days, wouldn't the opposing faction be at a severe disadvantage?

2. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

It is possible in theory, but the idea is that there will be up to 500 players per side. The law of averages will balance things out with the more players we have. More likely there will be server limits, for example on an early beta server we might cap it out at 300 players per race, so then a second server starts up with the overflow.
    Also, the races have been made interesting enough that one wont feel as OP over another, or that players would flock to one over another.

Beyond this, every frontier area has its own AI defenses (defense platforms, class I ships patrolling, gravitic mines (genari), beam and missile drones (sol) that keep early joiners with Class III corvettes from being able to rush the opposing side.
    The high end XP is gained from fighting other players, so you have to have live opponents to fight to get strong enough to advance to more powerful ships to take out these border defense stations.

And even further, major star systems have their own spawn points, as well as some very heavily armed massive space stations. You'd need a coordinated attack with multiple cruiser-class ships or higher to even dare take on a large space station. Without taking out that station, you cannot capture that region.

3. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

How many players would be on a server when the beta launches? 1000 then? (500 sol 500 genari). Thanks.

4. Vesuvius_SWIE

We want to limit each server to 1000 players. So yes, each race would be capped at 500 players. In general though, it is calculated in this way:
    Starting Galaxy Map contested regions (hexes) x max number of players per region = max number of players per race.

The idea is that if every player decided to fight at the borders at once, they would have a spot to fight.

5. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

How many max players can be in a region at once?

6. Vesuvius_SWIE

Depends on the region size. Smallest regions are 20x20 hexes, the largest (homeworld regions) are 200x200 hexes.
    These regions (combat maps) follow this rule:
    20x20 hex = Max 2 vs 2 players
    30x30 = 3 vs 3
    40x40 = 4 vs 4
    and so on... to 200x200 being 20 vs 20 players

Of course, it can be any combination of players up to the max depending who is there at the time, eg. 3 vs 1 on a 30x30 8 vs 6 on a 100x100 etc...

7. MLocke

MLocke Member

** very interesting **
    so I could go in with two friends, and try to capture a 30x30 region, work together with them through chat (I'm assuming there is a chat system)

8. Vesuvius_SWIE

Yes, there is a general chat, an in-region chat, as well as a friends chat filter.

9. CANADIANEH

CANADIANEH New Member

Can't wait to give it a try, sounds like it could be very interesting.

10. CamadJ

CamadJ New Member

I like the way this has been put together. Is there something limiting higher experienced ships from interacting with lower class ships?

11. Lesiak

Lesiak Member

From what I know of the game there isn't any limits on that other than you get less XP for fighting weaker ships than you.

12. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

Also keep in mind that you can check to see what ships are in the sector that's being fought for. So if a big guy with a big ship is there a weaker player may choose to fight somewhere else.

13. CamadJ

CamadJ New Member

Okay, good to know, thanks guys! I still don't have access so these little things I still don't know.

14. Coser

Coser Active Member

Doesn't stop a monster ship jumping in on a lot of smaller ships, but keeping your eye on what's transiting in can help. Monster transits in, you transit out with all speed. Should be able to start again tomorrow after a week off. Looking forward to it!

15. BlueMaro

BlueMaro New Member

Overall I see Genari taking more sectors on the test server. But I wonder if its because there's a lot more Genari players as well as that guy with the dreadnought running amok. Because the high tier Sol ships are definitely stronger.

16. SPiEkY

SPiEkY Member

Those guys with the dreadnoughts*

Both myself and HunterKiller are up to that point. :D

Devilgeek likes this.
  17. Coser

Coser Active Member

Genari definately have the numbers advantage when they're on, but there are times I seem to be able to take sectorsfor Sol with very little effort.

18. Mystarian

Mystarian New Member

I really have not run into Genari players yet, also been reclaiming a bunch of our sectors as of late. I have seen effects of their attacks but have yet to encounter any.

19. Valhalla Awaits

Valhalla Awaits New Member

Genari ships have considerably overpowered weapons. (Almost comically so.) Their T2 ships can one shot kill ANY tier 3 ship in the game with their 10 hull damage missiles that bypass all shields. There is something SERIOUSLY off with the game's balance when a small ship can one shot a larger ship.

20. gegener

gegener Member

hello its me who one shoot you just now ^^
    its a class 3 like yours not a class 2 ship
    but yes i think it is too powerfull