Warship Discussion!

Discussion in 'Beta Discussion' started by BlueMaro, Feb 19, 2017.

1. BlueMaro

BlueMaro New Member

Since this game is about the ships, and those of us who have been internal playtesting are learning more about them, I thought it would be good to discuss them here. I know there's threads on ships in the shipyard section of the forum, but it would be nice to have our thoughts on them here.
    I'll start. I've been playing as Sol, so I can talk about them:

-Bengbu: I call it the 'turtle' of the class 3 selections. It doesn't have too much firepower, but it takes quite a beating and you can do pretty well with it if you play conservatively.
    -Mendi: My favorite, its got the most firepower and it can be fast too.
    -Orchis: It seems only good for scouting out places, I think working as a team its good use would be to find those agile flyers that keep running and hiding.
    -Puritan: Play at your own risk, but its fun and fast, and has four lasers so it can pack a punch.

ben likes this.
  2. Ereinion

Ereinion Member

Genari edition:
    Agile Flyer: The perfect hit and run weapon. You can outclass just about everything in movement points. But, you've got to be out of range as soon as an enemy has their turn, as you do not have any shields and nearly no armor. Also, I don't think the versions with marine pods are a good choice, as charging them will cost you a lot of power, that you need for movement.
    Star Warrior: Mainly known for it's bugged missiles, this corvette has even without them as much possible damage output as any Agile Flyer. It also can take more damage, but that goes at the cost of engines and thus movement and this ship shouldn't be left in battle either.
    First Honor: Every one of your three lasers can do nearly as much damage as all the ones of the Agile Flyer combined. But, you've also got no shields on this frigate. So, you are forced to rely on hit and run tactics nearly as much as with the corvettes. You've got quite good engines for that. And the best: They can't be damaged.
    Interdictor: Well, this destroyer doesn't do any more damage with it's lasers than the First Honor (some versions even less). But, you have quite powerful shields and about double the hull strength and with some versions you even have enough power to fly the same hit and run tactics as with the smaller ships. So, this ship isn't easy to destroy, if you either get out of combat, or remember to charge your shield enough. Additionally it has enough marine pods to take over most sol class III ships instantly, if that was already possible.

3. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

Little Stinger: Though its missile is bugged for now, it was a fast ship that had a weapon that had great damage to power ratio. Just getting one of these off against someone and seeing the explosive result was quite satisfying.
    Star Warrior: Yeah, again the missiles are bugged for now, but it does have the most firepower over any other class III ship I know of. Its my choice over the Agile Flyer. Close combat slugger. Combine it with the bonus damage tactical officer skill, its a one-shot killer.
    Battalion: Low cost on XP, usually the first thing I get if I can afford a frigate. Incredibly durable with its armor and shields.

SPiEkY likes this.
  4. AmishJoe

AmishJoe Member

2nd ereinion on the agile flyer and ob10 on Battalion, my personal favorites are the 2nd versions of both, you all can add me as friends on steam amishjoe3

5. Lesiak

Lesiak Member

I've been playing skirmish, but I really like the Swordfish destroyer, a class 5 ship. It has such an arsenal of weapons, and a lot of hull points.

SPiEkY likes this.
  6. SPiEkY

SPiEkY Member

Worked my way up to the Oslo II, only a class IV, but still, some impressive firepower for a ship with such ludicrous shielding.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2017
  7. Ereinion

Ereinion Member

I think the price of the swordship III is shown wromg in the shipyard section of this side.

-Actually it is supposed to be 2700, the ship card on the site I put the wrong amount as 1850. I will have to fix the ship card -Vesuvius

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2017
  8. darklord48

darklord48 Member

I'm flying around in the HonorBound IV putting system after system into lockdown. I really like this ship.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2017
    Apex Predator likes this.
  9. SPiEkY

SPiEkY Member

Grabbed a base Swordfish with that 1500lp boost the other day. 1850 made it cheap for a Class V, but it's still a beast. Plus, as an added bonus, I actually get okay xp from those pirate runs, since it's sending a Class IV and a Class III at me now.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2017
  10. JansenC

JansenC Member

I like the interdictor destroyer. I have the type 1. Those three heavy laser beams do a lot of damage and this thing has twice the hitpoints of the frigate I had before. I also like the rear missile if I'm crossing over a target.

11. CpZen

CpZen Member

Until the marine pods bugs get fixed I've been using the Battalion Frigate a lot. Its very sturdy on hull points, and it has really good shields. The three lasers pack a punch and you've got the power to use all your systems properly.

12. crash

crash New Member

Marine pods seem to be working better now

13. Kahless

Kahless Member

I got my first Guardian light cruiser. The class 6 one. Its got so many marines, armor, weapons and force fields. It looks so strange but deadly.

SPiEkY likes this.
  14. gegener

gegener Member

i start the beta with the agile flyer 3 and agile flyer 4 and it wasnt my style of game play (no enouth fire power)
    i discover the detail of the ship and choose the power of the star warrior 2 long range, low % of miss and crazy big power.
    i play last night with the class 4 firebolt 2.
    tanky (6 field ^^)
    i am a bit disapointed about the fission warhead dmg4(but use only 2 energy) and the laser beam dmg5 if i compare with the power of my favorite class 3 star warrior 2 and his fission warhead dmg10 (but use 5 energy). perhaps a balance is needed...
    the next ship i will try is the victory 3(class6) i think i will love the 8 dmg fission warhead (but perhaps i will hate the rang 6 ^^)

after 1 day of farm (lol) i get the Victory 3 class 6 ship for 5200
    field field field
    fission warhead 8dmg +1(ship passive) doesnt one shoot class 3 i am a little disapointed why do we need to pay 5200 if he didn't one shoot start ship :p

i loose it versus a green ship class 7 xD he kill my ship with 2 fire valhalla if you want to see unbalance ship come in the green zone you will get some crasy hit

after the reply of valhalla i try the little stinger.
    he hit hard but take a lot of dmg :s with his low movement/init its so eay to harass it with a strategy, take init, fire(fire*2) move far away or near a moon.
    come back, fire(fire*2) its dead
    i dont have 1 shoot a explorer corvet so it is less power full than the star warrior 2 or there is a bug with my favorite ship

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  15. darklord48

darklord48 Member

I feel like Engine Damage is over powered compared to other damage locations. I keep taking out engines of ships I'm fighting and they can't get repaired enough to counter me.

16. darklord48

darklord48 Member

I have a new favorite Corvette. Starwarrior IV. I was able to deal twice as much damage as I received against a Class 6 and Class 7. I suspect if @AmishJoe had not shown up in his Class 7, I would have killed the class 6.

upload_2017-3-27_18-20-29.png

AmishJoe likes this.
  17. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Best Ship in the game (in my eyes), you now belong to me! Woot

Montana III 2.jpg

18. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

Damn, how did you manage to take out a class 6 ship with a corvette? That thing only has 16 hull points, one spread of weapons off a Light Cruiser would vaporize it.

19. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

The 6 was a trash ship I was testing to confirm my suspicions :p

The bugs of not being able to move and power allocation rescinded is what was a big threat to me. Your damage was incapable of penetrating my shields by yourself :p

It's a good thing I picked up some extra repairs on that rig... lol I figured you were enjoying the XP. You got very lucky that multiple 80%+ engine-crippling shots missed from each of us... until your luck ran out!

Like I just missed 3 out of 5 85% chance shots against a friggin space station!

I figured out earlier that a battle station has 88 engine power!

I took 11 dmg at 3 hexes away, would have been 22 1 closer or 44 at point blank, full 50% of the engine explosion ~~ scary (Staying 4 away from a space station)

Averaging 200 XP/minute vs a station. Pretty sweet. Can do the same elsewhere though.

80 rounds and counting at about 30 seconds per round >< I can't help but wonder if the station is repairing all the damage I do or if I am making any progress at all.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  20. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Round Two.jpg
    THERE SHE BLOWS!

2432 XP for the Class XII Station Kill

Class VII Montana kicks ass (and has a good captain too)

now to finish this other peon lurking somewhere and...
    XP Earned.jpg
    BANKED

Time to go train the crew and see what this baby can really do :)

For anyone curious, 13 damage to shield at 4 hex, so 26 52, and 104! at point blank.

104 would be lethal to me without full shielding. Scary.

I'm left wondering why Deruz II isn't showing up as part of Sol now... I wiped everything and the meter at the top showed 50 pts our way.

Round 2 was a lot faster (less repairs) and with less interlopers.
    Round Two.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017