Officer Spotlight: Sol Weapons Officer

Discussion in 'The Shipyard & Guides' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

WEAPONSOFFC.jpg One of the five Sol Officers is the Weapons Officer -- who has a dynamic impact on the performance of the weapons systems. There are 12 skills available to this Officer:

Since the Weapons Officer has 5 levels, it means that you can only pick up to 5 out of these 12 skills.
    * The prime skillset it the Accuracy Skill, which improves dramatically at level 5.

The Weapons Officer levels up from Experienced -> Expert -> Master -> Veteran -> Elite
    experience.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  2. ShadowJudge

ShadowJudge Member

Ah, this is more heroes of might and magic style, what I've been looking forward to :)

3. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

What is the difference between active and passive skills?

4. Vesuvius_SWIE

The passive skills are working in combat all the time:
    Eg. Accuracy I with 5% increase to hit is a permanent boost.

Active skills need to be clicked on/activated -- and are usable once per battle:
    Eg. Lucky shot you activate on allocation round for one weapon, and you have a 80% boost in accuracy for that one weapon that one time.

5. NightWolf

NightWolf Member

How is a battle defined? Is there a cooldown? thanks.

6. MLocke

MLocke Member

I also want to know can you stack skills? Like damage boost + lucky shot?

7. Vesuvius_SWIE

A battle is defined as going into a region for combat, and then leaving a region. So you cannot re-use an active skill more than once in such a battle (unless you leave the region and come back again). They tend to be a lot more powerful, thus that one-time use. Besides that, there is no cooldown.

Indeed Locke, you can stack skills. A good one is lucky shot + overload, so you guarantee that the massive damage hits where its supposed to.

8. Lesiak

Lesiak Member

To me, overload weapon seems to be the most powerful/dangerous skill. I'd go for upgrading the weapons officer first.

9. Kahless

Kahless Member

Overload for the win!

10. Kai55

Kai55 New Member

Wonder if it would make any sense to have a class 2 ship and beef it up with skills. Zip around the map and do hit and runs, at low cost on XP? Would require a daring captain, that's for sure.

11. Coser

Coser Active Member

Kai55,

That, with the exception of doing it with the Sol Class 3 "Orchis IV" vessel, is kinda what I plan to do. Damage Boost, Range Boost, Lucky Shot, and 2 levels of Overload, 5 levels of Evasion from the Helmsman, Sensor Boost, and the skill that reduces enemy sensor range, and you start to see the plan I am forming. "Hit hard, hit fast, and move on discretely to hit again."

12. J.Sousa

J.Sousa New Member

2 points: Damage boost and Range boost. That will be useful anytime.

13. MLocke

MLocke Member

On further observation I think the passive skills are all better than active ones because you have them all the time, not just once per battle.

14. Coser

Coser Active Member

True, but there is a definite use for a couple of the actives. I myself am concentrating on the passive skills over the active ones as you do get the benefit round after round, not just for one round only.

15. SirElric

SirElric Member

Maybe not lucky shot but the weapon over load damage thing I think is an incredible one for a one-shot kill.

16. Coser

Coser Active Member

And that is exactly why you NEED Lucky Shot. Who wants to see that incredible one-shot kill whistle past the enemy hull and fly harmlessly into space?

17. Nickman77

Nickman77 Member

I'd be firing that lucky shot only if I could do it at point blank range. Though I guess if from what I hear the explosion damage can be nasty, I'll do it to soften up my enemy.

18. Vesuvius_SWIE

Yes indeed, explosions of any ship nearby from 1-4 hexes will do damage to your ship.

19. Coser

Coser Active Member

I think I prefer the phrase "A ship explosion will do damage to ANY other ship nearby, up to a maximum range of 4 hex, depending on the class of the exploding ship.".

Nice, juicy Genarii troop transport explodes, the ship it was supplying loses it's extra marines and a shield. Possibly gets damaged. Maybe your fleetmate gets a better shot in.

Oooooh, this game is going to be so tactical. [/kid at Christmas ]

Apex Predator and SPiEkY like this.
  20. NightWolf

NightWolf Member

Now about friendly fire, if your fire on an enemy and blow him up and your ally happens to be right next to the enemy ship, I guess you sealed his end too heh

Apex Predator likes this.