Maps, this part of the universe

Discussion in 'The Shipyard & Guides' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

spacemapsml.jpg
    spaceLY.jpg
    Each star system acts like a fortress, and on an average-sized map, every two light years = 1 hex

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Apex Predator likes this.
  2. Kenny610

Kenny610 New Member

I'm a little confused on the second map? Is that correlated with how long it takes to get to locations or is that just setting up the lore?

3. Vesuvius_SWIE

Each LY is a Hex/region on a large map server, and 2LY for a medium map server. So it is basically 100 battlefields/hexes/sectors from one homeworld to the next.
    The second map is more a reference for the Developers to ensure that the core strategic worlds are placed properly with the appropriate distance from each other.
    So in theory if you took a straight line through to the enemy homeworld, it would be 50 regions to conquer successfully on a large map, or 25 in a medium.

4. MLocke

MLocke Member

So the map above is it fluid ie. the borders can push in either direction?

5. Vesuvius_SWIE

Yes, regions get captured through successful battles, and the whole idea is to push deep into enemy territory. The major star systems are 'strongholds' which also act as spawn points. They tend to have multiple regions to conquer, and have the stronger orbital defense stations.

6. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

So if a major star system like the Sol Imperal Worlds' Vega star system gets captured by the Genari, that means the Sol Imperial Worlds lose that as a spawn point? I'm assuming it becomes a spawn point for Genari then. Thanks.

7. Vesuvius_SWIE

Yup, exactly what you've said here is accurate. Strategic star systems almost act as 'fortresses', which are very important to the race in question. You don't want to lose any of them. They all also have shipyards, where you can get new ships and such.

8. Junpine

Junpine New Member

I read the lore about the free peoples of sol which are in the helix nebula. The storyline is interesting to me. Can you play as that faction too?

9. Vesuvius_SWIE

In the very long term, after Ma'Alaketh and Hive are done, the 'Pirate' faction may get implemented. They come from the Helix Nebula/Free People of Sol. Playing as a pirate is very different from all the other factions, and I've already developed the rulesets for them, but got to focus on the main races first.

Apex Predator, darklord48 and SPiEkY like this.
  10. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

Back to the hexes/sectors. So looking at the map, in theory if you are genari you can go take sectors around vega, and cut them off from the rest of the sol empire.

11. Vesuvius_SWIE

Yes, exactly. Players can still spawn out of Vega, but they would have to fight their way out.

12. Markoth

Markoth Member

This intrigues me... You could even call me inquisitive...

Apex Predator, darklord48 and SPiEkY like this.
  13. MLocke

MLocke Member

So if I get it correctly, there is a galaxy map that is made of hexes, and each hex represents a region that is essentially a combat map? How many hexes/combat regions on a medium sized galaxy map?

14. Vesuvius_SWIE

A medium sized galaxy map be at least 30x30 hexes, so over 900 regions or more. Now the crazy thing is while each general region gets randomly generated, I will actually be perfecting/rebuilding every one :eek:

15. MLocke

MLocke Member

So you don't need to take over every enemy region, you just need to break into their homeworld to win the server?

16. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

Can you also show us an in-game galaxy map screenshot?

17. Warshoe

Warshoe Member

So the entire galaxy map is one big board of hexes. The battle for territory reminds me of Risk.

18. Vesuvius_SWIE

To 0b1 -- The galaxy map is a three tier element, with a full view of the controllable universe, then a closer view of about 50 regions, then a full zoom focusing on one region and its details. This attached is a early alpha version of the full galaxy view, but very rudimentary. I will be making screenshots of the newer galaxy map model when I'm satisfied with its design.

Attached Files:

19. Kahless

Kahless Member

I've been wondering this, are both sides evenly balanced in number of regions and star systems? Do the different races' bases have their own style?

20. Vesuvius_SWIE

Yes, the races have very different bases/defense platforms. Both sides do have an equal number of star systems though.