Officer Spotlight: Genari Marine Commander

Discussion in 'The Shipyard & Guides' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

One of the four Genari Officers is the Marine Commander -- who improves the effectiveness of the Marines and their pods. There are 10 skills available to this Officer:

0MARINEC.jpg

Since the Marine Commander has 5 levels, it means that you can only pick up to 5 out of these 10 skills.
    * The Marine Commander has one primary skillset -- Team Expansion, which allows more marines to be added to the marine pods that are sent out. Base number is 10 marines per pod, so this enhances it.
    The Marine Commander levels up from Experienced -> Expert -> Master -> Veteran -> Elite
    experience4.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    SPiEkY likes this.
  2. JansenC

JansenC Member

Four Genari Officers instead of Five compared to Sol. Interesting. The Tactical Officer looks like it has 10 levels if I can read into what's presented on the chart.

3. MLocke

MLocke Member

So if you have slaughter on your marine commander, and slaughter on your captain, does it stack too?

SPiEkY likes this.
  4. Vesuvius_SWIE

Hey MLocke, yes, in theory you can get a lot of XP from boosting your Captain and Marine Commander's slaughter skill -- makes Marines that much more effective for accelerating XP.

SPiEkY likes this.
  5. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

C0uld you also explain how the success roll works?

6. Vesuvius_SWIE

When a marine pod (with 10 marines in each pod) enters an opponents' ship, there is a random roll made of 1-10 marines being successful (ie. killing enemy crew). Elite Marines Skill narrows that range from 4-10 success to 8-10 success.

SPiEkY likes this.
  7. Coser

Coser Active Member

So, given a standard squad is 10, that is completely logical. I think I would go for Slaughter first, then both levels of Elite Marines. This gives me the maximum XP gain, but I have 2 skills left over. IF I then took 2 levels of Team Expansion, does that mean the success factor is 8-12 as I would expect?

Also, I think you should change the descriptor for Slaughter, it seems a rather obvious copy/paste to me - unless it is a rare skill that has two different functions, of course.

8. Vesuvius_SWIE

You're right, I should make the slaughter text the same. As for combining skills, yes -- Elite Marines II + Team Expansion II = 8-12 success roll -- you basically average a full 10 for a pod -- which is rather deadly -- 10x5= 50 attack points = 50/3 = nearly 17 human crew killed per pod.

9. Pendragon

Pendragon Member

I'll still be playing sol but I'd be afraid of getting close to some guy with super-marines.

10. ShadowJudge

ShadowJudge Member

If you have a starter ship like the Honor Bound corvette with 20 marines, and say with slaughter kill 20 humans, and have the combined slaughter skills, that's 60 xp I think. That's enough to upgrade one or two officers.

11. Kahless

Kahless Member

Agreed with shadowjudge! Marines are a powerful too. Like the icons too btw :)

12. Jmp2x

Jmp2x Member

One thing I'm still not sure on the marines thing, if a ship has 20 marines, which is two marine pods, do they run out after shooting them to the enemy or do they replenish? If it is a one-time thing, then the marines wouldn't be OP.

13. Potkeny

Potkeny Member

I believe Vesuvius said something like pods are once-in-a-battle, just like the active skills of officers (you have to leave and re-join the battle to use them again).

14. Nickman77

Nickman77 Member

Yeah, if the pods were unlimited like missiles, the genari would definitely be overpowered.

15. Vesuvius_SWIE

If you wanted to know how you can replenish your marines, there is the Destiny Troop Ship/Troop Carrier. It has a loadout of 120 Marines (+12 pods) that you dock with to resupply.
    destiny.jpg

16. SirSprout

SirSprout New Member

Not too expensive to buy. But I guess it doesn't have any weapons so keep it out of harm's way.

17. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

should at least give it a beam or something, for immersion sake, who would build a ship without any wep whats so ever, to traverse the universe, even if was just a short distance, doesnt even have to be anything that can kill someone persay,

18. Vesuvius_SWIE

There's two types of support ships -- the repair tender kind -- which sort of can defend itself and repair -- and the hospital ship/troop ship kind that is only there for temporary support. The latter type has no offensive abilities, for it just arrives, does its job, and leaves. The repair tenders tend to be there through the entire fight. But who knows, maybe one day another Type II Destiny is created with a laser but with reduced troop capacity.

19. SirSprout

SirSprout New Member

Since I'll probably start as Genari, I was wondering does it cost power to use marines, like missile weapons or lasers?

20. Potkeny

Potkeny Member

You have to launch the marine-pods, so I would say yes.