Genari Ships

Discussion in 'The Shipyard & Guides' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Senshu

Senshu Administrator

The Genari do have the marine pods which is devastating especially when most weapons hit chance is based on distance from target.

2. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

But still there's the whole "getting in range alive to use them" and the how often the right situations arise to do that. I don't doubt the lethality of them. Just the practical use in real gameplay

3. Senshu

Senshu Administrator

With the chance to hit based on range it actually comes out to be where it encourages both the Genari and Sol to close distance to if you want to really bring the pain and that then moves to the Genari's advantage. The Sol could assign their weapons to counter fire to intercept the Marine pods, but the prevents them from directly attacking you. Then there is also the positioning factor. As Genari you can jack up power to the sensors and then maneuver to the backside of a Sol Ship so without being picked up by their forward sensors.

There are many potential ways an counter could play out depending on what each person does and each action has it's share of benefits and detriments.

4. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

I can definitely see that & that's where I can't wait to get my hands on this game, too actually see how it plays. Cuz it's just looking at this information and running simulators in my head. So the Genari specialize in close combat by virtue of what? Especially at the end game of battleships & dreadnoughts

5. Senshu

Senshu Administrator

When you get up the flag ships like Colossus and Leviathans it becomes a slug fest with just dishing out blows by the sheer number and power of their weapons. The one difference is that the Genari Leviathans can pummel the other capital ships at range and then the smaller Sol frigates that try to move in are then ravaged by the Marine Pods.

These battles will be a coordinated effort so it is more about the tactics of the group and having the logistical support of ships to replace the fallen than what the actual ships are. It's the comparison of what would win in a fight a bat or knife when the real question should be how many people are there with bats or knives.

6. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

That's good to hear, it would be really disheartening to find out that one sol ship could just plow through genari vessels. In your experience what are they best situations to use the marine pods? What are some of the tactics some of you guys have used in testing?, if any testing like that has been done. Like you guys just derping around trying to kill Eachother, and if I remember correctly leviathan doesn't have marine pods, on the card anyway.

7. Senshu

Senshu Administrator

Ah, yes I was thinking of the Nova which is also a very formation Genari ship. The abbreviated tactic is to close the distance on the enemy ship, punch a hole in their shields, then launch marine pods. The uses can very depending on what you are up against because as the Genari each ship has a limited number of pods per match so you need to use them wisely to take out the enemy crew. My personal use has been sneak up behind another ship unleash all weapons at point blank and then launch all marine pods. It's an all or nothing approach and relies on maneuvering and cunning to pull off. Sometimes it does help to be in a smaller ship so the enemy focuses on the larger ships, but it all depends on the situation.

One thing to note, there is sure to be more balancing once we get a lot more people playing the game rather than staff testing. It is easy to get lazy because you know the other person's tactics too well :)

8. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

Have you looked at the ship cards? Colossus has 7800 terajoules of offensive power with its 10 weapons, Leviathan 12,000 terajoules of offensive power with its 13 weapons. Head to head, if it came to blows up close, it seems to me that the Genari Leviathan would smother the Sol Colossus. And if it costs that much more XP to get a Sol dreadnought, well the Genari player can get to theirs faster.

9. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

Hahah fair enough, I'll take notes and see you in the beta, really curious to see how you'd close the gap and not get blown away with that boost to sensors helping you out

10. Senshu

Senshu Administrator

It also depends on the positioning of the weapons. This is just a general example, but one ship may have more forward firing weapons while another would have them evenly distributed in all directions. Also, fewer weapons means more power that can be put into shields. Being able to take a hit is as important as dishing it out.

It all depends on the opponent. In a multi ship battle it is easier to close distance without being noticed just by the sheer fact there may be larger threats. Does one target the dinky ship that could do a lot of damage if it gets in close or does one focus fire on one of the larger ships that could really bring the pain. There is also the element that systems on the ship can be taken out. Everything is based on circumstance so one needs to adapt to the situation at hand.

11. lefty

lefty Member

Yeah I would think that with your allies there and several ships going around in the battle, one on one is going to be a rarity. Especially if you're at the dreadnought stage there's all kinds of ships fighting it out in the same sector.

12. Pendragon

Pendragon Member

I like playing with teams and friends, so I would never be going out alone. I think its always more fun when you've got someone you know coordinating attacks or just traveling around the universe looking for stuff to do. That's why I play MMOs.

13. Senshu

Senshu Administrator

There is definitely a group and social aspect to Space Wars, and there are advantages with working together with others.

14. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

when will we get beta? im itching over here!

15. Senshu

Senshu Administrator

We are finishing up the debugging and doing internal testing. It is almost there, and we will start notifying players for early access once we are satisfied with the state of the game.

The Calamity likes this.
  16. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

understood

17. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

Back to topic, I continue to build more ship cards (need to have them all done by the end of January I hope) and like the Leningrad set, here's a set of four Honor Bound Frigates to give you an idea of the ship variants a single type of ship may have. The base 'Honor Bound type I' is what everyone can get, but the Type II thru IV is the 'monetized' variety. So not only its a different 'skin', but a totally different style/loadout/lore.

HONOR BOUND I - Base Version
    honorbound.jpg

HONOR BOUND II - Defensive Variant
    honorbound2.jpg

HONOR BOUND III - Beam Cannon Variant
    honorbound3.jpg

HONOR BOUND IV - Defensive Variant Without Marines
    honorbound4.jpg

18. JansenC

JansenC Member

Well, I'd go for looks even if its offensive rating sucks. Type 4.

19. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

On to more powerful ships, here is the Devastator Cruiser, and its Long Range Beam Variant
    devastator.jpg
    devastator2.jpg

20. NightWolf

NightWolf Member

The devastator looks... devastating. I'm thinking that when the first one of these comes into the battlefield, it's going to dominate (if there's no cruisers to counter it that is).