Ship Maneuverability

Discussion in 'The Shipyard & Guides' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

Based on the size/type/mass of the ship, it will fall into specific categories that affect its movement point ratio. In general, the more 'massive' the ship, the less maneuverable it will be, thus will require more power to move the same distance in combat relative to a smaller ship.
    Movement Point Ratio: For every power applied to movement in combat : Movement points gained
    movementpts.jpg

2. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

Looking at the ships listed in the websites' shipyard, it looks like the most maneuverable ships will be the corvettes then, and Sol seems to have a slight edge on power.

3. Potkeny

Potkeny Member

How fun would it be to fly the Firefly (Genari T1 ship) with 1:6 ratio... Oh well, at least Corvettes are still there.

4. MLocke

MLocke Member

I think someone should calculate which ship has the most movement with the table above and the ships I see posted on shipyard. Firefly would be 6x4 =24 movement.
    Agile flyer has 16 power so x2 = 32 movement
    but something like 80% of the ships in the game aren't on the shipyard page on spacewars.com at least from what the ship viewer showed.

5. Coser

Coser Active Member

but don't forget, most of the time, you are going to want to save some power for other things. Certainly weapons, maybe shields. So with firing weapons, that firefly may be limited to only 1 power available for movement = 6 movement, the Agile Flyer would therefore presumably be able to fire more for the same 6 movement, which only costs it 3 power, leaving 13 for weapons fire,

6. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

These bigger ships better play like how they read, or these fast ships just gonna kite via hit & run, just reading this playing as a Ma'kaleth dreadnought might be more advantagous than the others solely based on wep max range.

7. Nickman77

Nickman77 Member

I wouldn't care how fast a corvette is going if I'm a battleship. One of my lasers would make it pop. And they can try to run off, but I'd have the longer range weapon to nip him in the butt. And if one of my weapons misses, I've got a dozen more.
    Think about it, even these fast ships like the agile flyer come charging in with 20 movement, that means approaching me from 10 hexes away and then running back 10 hexes. Well the range of my weapons are 16 or more hexes according to the weapons chart, so he wouldn't leave unscathed.

8. Coser

Coser Active Member

1. You are not taking into account the range of his weapons. Even if they are as low as 8 hex, he can start at 17 away, come in 9 hex, fire, turn and leave 9 hex and he is once again out of your range, forcing you to spend precious power to move toward him to fire.

2. At max range, you only have a base chance to hit of 5%, neither of you would be hitting anything very much.

Smaller ships gain initiative bonuses, so they are much more likely to get their turn before you do in a big, slow Battleship. The real point is that a Corvette is much less likely to do permanent damage to a Battleship due to the power of it's weapons. It will probably be like a wasp trying to kill an elephant.

However, Vesuvius has already stated that Battleship production will be limited, so you may not get one, and what do you do until you have earned the XP to get one if you can?

9. NightWolf

NightWolf Member

Some1 should make a list of max movement for those ships we know about :)

10. Coser

Coser Active Member

I don't think it would be all that helpful, NightWolf. Each ship has a certain amount of power, which can be distributed to engines for movement, shields, or weapons. Unless you know on a round by round basis what the enemy has done with his power (Vesuvius has already stated that you can't) then you can't work out how far he can travel. The only time someone would want to put all power to engines is if they were escaping, and at that point, you've earned the XP for routing them as soon as they succeed. Better to not have yourself pulled out of position chasing someone, than waste a lot of your energy chasing them.

11. Vesuvius_SWIE

No matter what, a higher tier ship (even just one tier higher, eg. Class IV Frigate to Class V Destroyer) is a significant jump in strength and survivability. However, the idea is that the smaller ships can get out of trouble faster, so they won't be as easy to kill if you are skilled enough to play them right. But sure if I had a choice, I'd take a Colossus or Leviathan over anything else.
    Funny thing however, I've watched players in PAX pick the biggest ships, and lose to much weaker AI ships (because they didn't know what they were doing) so the Battleships and Dreadnoughts are not invincible (Just like the Vesuvius of Wing Commander IV haha).

12. Jmp2x

Jmp2x Member

no one is talking about scanners either, think about how if you want to detect someone before they detect you that would take some power out. the limited power you have on these faster ships like the corvette will make it difficult to have everything charged up.

13. Coser

Coser Active Member

I think of that differently. If I can detect an opposing vessel BEFORE they can detect me, maybe I can get into weapons range before they detect me. If I can get into weapons range before they can detect me, maybe I can hit them before they can detect me. If I can do that, I will be hitting an unshielded vessel, meaning I can do much more damage and will have a significant advantage over the rest of the combat. Also, if I can detect you before you detect me, I don't need to power shields until the turn after I've fired as you will have to move toward me - using energy - so you will have less to spend on shields and weapons.

14. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

that's great to hear, and i'll be making a note of that. in beta will you be just giving us access to all the ships to play with then?

15. Vesuvius_SWIE

In the beta players still have to earn their ships through XP, so no, you wouldn't be able to just get any ship you want. The Early Access Beta will still be like a full game, just that Ma'Alaketh and Hive won't be playable.

16. lefty

lefty Member

will there ever be ships that exceed class X?

17. Coser

Coser Active Member

God, I hope not.

Why does everyone want to be a 'Heavy', anyway? They will be production limited, slow, and easy to bypass. I don't want a star destroyer, I want the Falcon - or better yet, the Ebon Hawk.

"meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH"

18. SirElric

SirElric Member

I think everyone will be aiming for the big ships just because... they're badass.

19. Vesuvius_SWIE

Ships will not exceed class X with one exception -- the 'Gargantuan' Class XI of the Hive. Its essentially an overbloated class X hive ship, with 20:1 movement point ratio.

20. CpZen

CpZen Member

Would love to see what that thing would look like :)

SPiEkY likes this.