System Spotlight: Force Fields

Discussion in 'The Shipyard & Guides' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

Sol, Genari, and Ma'Alaketh have Force Fields, aka shields -- they can be powered up and act as additional defense, absorbing incoming damage.

Shield Tiers:
    Tier 1 - for every power applied, 1 shield point is available (force fields usually don't exceed 12 strength)
    Tier 2 - for every power applied, 2 shield points is available (force fields usually don't exceed 20 strength)
    Tier 3 - for every power applied, 3 shield points is available (force fields usually don't exceed 30 strength)

The higher the tier, strength and so on, the greater the weight and crew requirements.

SOL - All Sol ships have some sort of force field, usually tier 1 for weaker ships, tier 2 for the rest; only a few of the most powerful and specialty ships have tier 3.

Genari - Lower tier Genari ships don't have force fields, and rely on armor instead. Otherwise tier 1 and tier 2 force fields are common. They've hit a technology limit however; they have not exceeded 16 strength tier 2, and have not been able to achieve tier 3.

Ma'Alaketh - All their ships have at the minimum of a tier 2 force field, all the way to tier 5.

Attached Files:

2. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

Since its a hex-based game, does the shields need to be powered individually on each side, or are they all charged up the same power at once?

3. Vesuvius_SWIE

Yes, part of the strategy is to determine what sides to charge -- and how much. Since you have limited power, you normally can't fully charge all sides without sacrificing everything else.
    6 sides: Forward/Forward-Fort/Forward-Starboard/Aft/Aft-Starboard/Aft-Port

4. lefty

lefty Member

Can shield systems get damaged?

5. Meritus

Meritus New Member

Depending on the class of ships-would you be able to employ a "shift" method of shield power distribution?
    How responsive would this be , while in battle, going "Bow to Bow with your enemy, and then veering to Port or Starboard while shifting power to the affected side and firing weapons (again depending on the class of ships and weapon stations)?
    Given that there will be four areas to control: Propulsion, Sensors, Force Fields, and Weapons-I can envision a touch screen monitor vs. a keyboard/mouse to perform these maneuvers/functions.
    Would the game support this if user chose to?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  6. Vesuvius_SWIE

Yes, shield systems can get damaged individually based on the side -- so if a weapon hits that force field generator on say, the forwars/starboard arc, it is down until repaired.

Once a force field is charged in that arc, it cannot be shifted to another arc -- not until the next power allocation round.

There's no plans for a touch screen interface, but its mostly mouse/keyboard with keyboard shortcuts that you can change. Though the touchscreen would be cool in the future -- sort of like STTNG

7. Jmp2x

Jmp2x Member

What's the max strength of a tier 5 shield?

8. Vesuvius_SWIE

Tier 5 shields would only be on the most powerful (Battleship, Dreadnought) classes of Ma'Alaketh. They would peak at 50.

9. Jmp2x

Jmp2x Member

Just putting it in with the science officer skillset, so if you have a ship with 4 strength max on force fields the shield boost 2 will let you raise the shields to 6 right? What if a ship has no force fields at all, does that bring it to 2?

10. Vesuvius_SWIE

Yes, the Science Officer (or Tactical Officer) skill will boost the shields if they apply the skill. However, with a ship that has no force field, like the Type I Agile Flyer Corvette, the force field boost skill will have no effect.

11. ShadowJudge

ShadowJudge Member

Does the Hive have some alternate to force fields, or are they completely unprotected that way?

12. Vesuvius_SWIE

The Hive have no forcefields whatever; they do however, rejuvenate their carapace through organic matter consumption (ie. heal their hull points) much more easily than the other races.

13. Kuwanger

Kuwanger New Member

I can't tell if that would be the hive's weakness or strength? I guess only time will tell.

14. ShadowJudge

ShadowJudge Member

I guess the organic matter is taken from enemy ships?

15. Vesuvius_SWIE

Yes, though we should move this part of the discussion to the Hive section.

16. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

Can one see on what side the enemy has charged shields?

17. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

In relation to my other question, if I'm in a battleship or dreadnought and I got and charge said side, and my enemy can see that if the are faster could just zip around the other side and shoot an uncharged facing. Can this happen?

18. Coser

Coser Active Member

Ooooh, that would be nasty! But of course, either way, the boot is on the other foot the next round. You will have seen if they have any shields active and can try and get a friend to fire on an unprotected 'quarter'.

19. Vesuvius_SWIE

You cannot see what shields an enemy has charged; neither can you see what their power distribution to other parts of their ships are. In my 'Space Wars' lore, there hasn't been any 'sensor' technology that allows you to identify what an enemy has applied to their ship in combat.
    This makes the game more about trying to outwit an opponent, guessing what he/she may do with their shields, where they charged their force fields, what weapons they've activated, what power they've put to detecting you, and what weapons they've charged.
    Of course, you can see when you hit a force field and it absorbs the damage, as well as when you see a force field side collapse and the weapon hits the hull, along with the associated sound effects.

The Calamity likes this.
  20. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

Of course nothing out of the realm of what I would expect, just clarifying :)