General Q&A? Ask here.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

Problem is that when you target 1000 players, it costs way more to support the game than any income you make. Spacewars is a niche game, and it gets me worried, as it isn't for the fast-clicking masses, but more for the thinking, strategic, patient player.

2. SirElric

SirElric Member

Speaking of which, during the turn-based combat, is there a time limit?

3. Vesuvius_SWIE

Yes, during simultaneous (all players do it at once) allocation round, it can be 40-60 seconds long, and each players' combat round can be roughly 30 seconds long.

4. MotoPunx

MotoPunx New Member

This looks very cool!

Now, I haven't read or heard anything about buying "packs" or whatnot. I also read something that seems to indicate that you are trying not to make it a pay-for-power platform. Is this going to be a subscription-based model or how are you guys going to make enough money to keep improving the game after the Kickstarter phase?

Apex Predator likes this.
  5. Malkav

Malkav New Member

How will you handle multiple players in the same household. While I appriciate and understand the need to stop cheating, my wife and I often like to play games like this together, and some times vs. each other. How will you balance the desire for multiple players on one IP and preventing cheating?

(Personally I will prefer that you lean in favor of taking a hard line against it if that is the only way to prevent cheating, but just curious none the less).

Apex Predator likes this.
  6. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup New Member

How much of a time investment is required to get the exp required for new ships/ replacements for destroyed ships? Basically, how much of a penalty is there for losing ships?

7. Vesuvius_SWIE

Indeed the hope is that the skins/ship variants will generate enough income to support the game, but I won't know until the game gets off the ground. The reason why I didn't want to go for a subscription base is that the game is much better with a large community of gamers, where the universe is more alive with 100s of players being active on the server at any time.
    But the subscription based model is still a possibility.

8. Vesuvius_SWIE

We've figured out several ways, that won't have anything to do with IP. Though the IP will be tracked, it won't auto-ban. It will be more that if the same player fights the same opponent over and over again, and there's an exponential loss in XP for every subsequent kill till it becomes nil.

9. Vesuvius_SWIE

--As a newbie starting player, you're automatically given 350xp. If you lose your starter ship (and have no other ships purchased), you are automatically given another starter ship, no matter how much XP you've accumulated.
    --But if you lose any other ship (eg. Lose a Frigate you purchased later on) you don't get it back, or retain XP from it.
    --However, the game is designed so that it is more about being routed than killed, so you're given decent chance to either move off the combat areas of the map and repair, or leave the system entirely. Successful captures of regions follow a points system that not only count how many kills where done on that map, but routes as well. So you're not supposed to lose your ship, but escape before you get to that point.
    --Eg. a standard Frigate has at least 19 hull points, with some level of force field. Unless you really screw up, or get ganged up by several players, you shouldn't be insta-killed.
    --One of the Captains' skills in the Genari skillset (Honorable Death I and II) actually gives you back a % XP from a lost ship.

Apex Predator and NevrGonaGivUup like this.
  10. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

When you die do you lose everything like eve? or is it a respawn with ship intact with dmg? hows this work?

11. Vesuvius_SWIE

When you die you lose the ship you died in (but your Captain/Avatar does not get affected). But your roster of ships back at your base remain intact. Yes, you do lose any officers you upgraded on that ship. If youre a newbie with only one starter ship, you get another starter ship.

12. A4CEFULL1

A4CEFULL1 New Member

This type of game is going to be an interesting one... is it going to be free to play and if so, will it always be?

13. Coser

Coser Active Member

Sorry if this has already been asked, but here goes.

I already know you can name your ship, but can you also name the officers in your crew? I.e. could you, for example, name your science officer "Green blooded, pointy eared freak of nature"? Or your navigator "Teenage Russian Brat"?

Apex Predator and SPiEkY like this.
  14. Vesuvius_SWIE

Yes indeed, you can name your officers too -- sort of like FTL for those who have played it :)

15. Kuwanger

Kuwanger New Member

Coming out of the kickstarter, so will there be single player in this MMO game?

16. Vesuvius_SWIE

Yes, there is a single player element, PvE, but XP is halved if its not a real human you're playing against. But in some situations it can even be player vs AI vs player

17. Jmp2x

Jmp2x Member

I heard something about pirates, is that an AI thing? How does that affect the game on the server?

18. Vesuvius_SWIE

The pirate faction is purely AI for now, and it will be used for AI missions as well as 'harassment' of regions as a secondary faction. They aren't that strong against medium or high-tier ships, but will be some competition for new players.

19. Potkeny

Potkeny Member

Trying to catch up with all the information, and...
    Alts are "banned" as you can potentially farm yourself, OK.
    What about same-faction alts? I mean you can use more ships with the right (captain) skill, so using more accounts instead of a captain skill is... unbalanced? Or the captain skill's more ships is not the same way of "more ships" as a second account?

20. Vesuvius_SWIE

If you want to start more accounts with the same race, the more power to you -- but you'll just have that much more to manage. I don't think it would be logical, and you'd be diverting your time from getting a good character built up.
    The Fleet Commander skills give you all the XP from all your ships to your captain; if you had multiple accounts, the XP would be divided between those accounts.