Faction Spotlight: Sol Imperial Worlds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

Actually everything is offline (the novel explains why) when the Dark Matter Drive is activated. So you are temporarily defenseless. In the case of Class II, III, IV ships, there isn't much to worry about, as you escape on the end of the same round.

I could write a whole dissertation about the how the rock/paper/scissor dynamic is blended with officer skills, captain skills, race 'abilities', race 'weaknesses', ship design, bases, and offensive/defensive uniques. As I post more information about different aspects of the game (eg. right now I'm working on posting Officer Skills) some of it will be more understandable. Perhaps I've made the dynamics under the hood a little too complex, but I didn't want a simple game (and part of the reason why the Devs have their hands full).

A really basic example: Genari are technologically weaker, but they make good use of their marines. Ma'Alaketh are very advanced in tech, but their weakness is a weak crew and ships that are more reliant on automation with lower crew support per ship. If marines get through the technology and board a Ma'Alaketh ship, they're in real trouble.
    Another basic example: Sol may have more powerful weapons and force fields, but they also take up more mass on a ship. Genari tech is smaller/lighter, so they can mount more rudimentary weapon systems and counter the more advanced opponent.
    And a final basic example for now: All ships have a rating in offense/defense, which then helps calculate the overall XP rating of a ship. If a ship is more powerful, it costs more XP. So a Genari Destroyer might cost 2000Xp, but a Ma'Alaketh Destroyer would cost 4500Xp. Ie. it will be harder to attain, thus you need to work harder as Ma'Alaketh to achieve the same tier ship.

2. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

Well this is indeed intriguing, with so many mechanics at play it's really going to be a thing of grievance upon your TEir X being destroyed lol. Didn't realize I was talking to the CEO here haha, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and believe me I'll have plenty more.

I've been looking for a real in depth space combat game that meshes pvp with sector control. Player everything from battle star galactica online to EVE. Love these types of games, so that's were all these questions are Coming from.

In any event, I'll stay tuned for more info until release. Really curious to witness first hand how everything comes together. I love playing the huge big clunky ships, just trying grasp how strong these things are in the game once a human player is in control.

My last question for the night is this, will you guys be exchanging ships for real cash? So instead of exp there's a dollar amount? Free to play model = pay 2 win, I understand you guys have to make money & I spend, just don't want to see this being abused

3. Vesuvius_SWIE

Of course, getting to a ship like the Colossus Dreadnought would be pretty tough, as it requires over 49K experience. Its more like an end-game ship, as I'd estimate those who get to that stage are going to do so near the winning point. There wouldn't be that many of those floating around.
    But even a Light Cruiser or standard Cruiser is a 'big clunky ship' relative to the masses that would have lower tier ships :)

Ships variants will be unlocked with real cash, but there will be no way to actually use cash for XP. That, like you said, is pay 2 win, and I absolutely refuse to have my game turn into such a thing. It may make the game some $$ boosts initially, but it also means the death of the game in the long run.

4. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

It really does cause the death of the game, it's happened many times with different titles. I'm happy you have that view point & hope it stays!

Now upon reaching "end game" and the map is under full control by a race, what then? Server refresh of sectors? Any long lasting effects for accomplishing such a thing?

5. Vesuvius_SWIE

The map doesn't have to be fully in control of the enemy race; they need to capture 75% of the opponent's territory, or occupy the opponent's homeworld.

When a server is won, it resets. But there will be multiple servers, so you can be playing on several at any time (though I would stick to one or two or be overwhelmed). Legacy medals and awards, as well as player history carries over.

6. ShadowJudge

ShadowJudge Member

On Heroes Kingdoms, there were multiple servers, which would start every three weeks or so. Is there going to be a schedule of servers opening up or it is TBD?

7. Vesuvius_SWIE

As the first server starts, we see how filled it gets before opening up another server. Its all guesswork right now until we see how much activity there is. Ideally I'd like to see 500 actives on a server before firing up another one.

8. MLocke

MLocke Member

what would be the limit a server could have?

9. Vesuvius_SWIE

It could be unlimited in theory, but we want to cap it at 1000 per server for now. But first, one has to get to 1000 haha. If this game was backed by EA or UBI well then it would -- but I don't have the resources for such a marketing push.

10. Coser

Coser Active Member

Marketting, Schmarketting. All you need to do is release this puppy and let the fans do all the work for you. There are a couple of sites I'm going to spread the word on once I get to play, I've already pre-warmed the water, so to speak, by letting them know about the KS when it was active, and there'll be more interest once I can review it there too.

11. Vesuvius_SWIE

We need more Cosers haha

SPiEkY likes this.
  12. Coser

Coser Active Member

Don't put yourself down [nor me up too high], I just believe this will sell itself. It's looking to be an amazing game, with a great design and good concept. Word of mouth is one of the best things you can get going for you, or it can be the thing that shuts you down completely. [ref. Palladium Books Robotech RPG Tactics KS, APB MMO relaunch after the initial one was absolute <Censored>!]

And I believe spreading the word early will bring in more customers, more Beta players, and more long-term players.

Vesuvius_SWIE and SPiEkY like this.
  13. Nickman77

Nickman77 Member

I'll definitely be talking about the game to my buddies I play online games with. Sol is my first choice.

14. JansenC

JansenC Member

I think I'm going for Sol to start. Its an easier race to play, and maybe there isn't as much XP gains with marines and alternates but I won't get blasted out of the sky (I think) as easily.

15. Hexxx

Hexxx Member

Did have one other question about Sol. Do they have marines too, or is it Genari-specific.

16. Coser

Coser Active Member

Yes they do, but not in the ships we've seen so far IIRC, and possibly not in the Beta.

17. Potkeny

Potkeny Member

If the question was about the marine-pods, then Vesuvius said this (in the Genari Faction Spotlight thread):
    "Also most Genari ships have marine pods -- which the Sol don't use except on their marine ships."

So Sol has marine-pods only on "marine-ships".

18. Vesuvius_SWIE

Exactly -- Marine pods would be very rare on Sol ships, but there's a few of them that might be added post-beta. Useful against Hive/Ma'Alaketh, but not very useful against Genari.

19. Jmp2x

Jmp2x Member

I think I will start with Sol in the beta and get more experience that way before I try the genari. I wonder if many others will have the same thinking and there will be more sol players at launch.

20. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

After playing a while Sol definitely has the tech advantage. I do like the convenience of stronger shields and more accurate weapons. At this point I see the Genari as Orks, and Sol as the Elves.