Sol Ships

Discussion in 'The Shipyard & Guides' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

Sol ships tend to be utilitarian and functional in design, with a focus on longer ranged weaponry and force fields. Usually traveling in groups of three ships or more, they concentrate on disabling enemy ships from a distance and minimize casualties, and destroying Genari marine pods before they attach.

01.jpg

EmeraldMoss likes this.
  2. Kenny610

Kenny610 New Member

Whoa these ships look too cool! I'd love to see more of the Hive ships, I love that deep purple color they have!

3. Pendragon

Pendragon Member

Can you post more Sol ships pics pls?

4. Vesuvius_SWIE

02.jpg Will be posting a lot of photos of Sol ships here, but here is a Mercury Type III Light Cruiser up closer in a shipyard near Earth.

5. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

Looked at the spacewars site. Interesting ships. How many different Sol ships will there be for us to play with on launch? Thanks.

6. Vesuvius_SWIE

Approximately 60 different Sol ships and 60 different Genari ships available to players from the start. Though every player starts with a Corvette (Class III) ship -- about a dozen choices there -- and so you have to acquire XP to get to the more powerful ships.

7. lefty

lefty Member

exeter.jpg This ship is the neatest looking of the bunch.

8. Tereva

Tereva New Member

You guys really did a good job on the graphic side. Congrats.

Cheers,

T.

9. Pendragon

Pendragon Member

The Exeter is too strange-looking, I like the Yamato Battleship!

10. J.Sousa

J.Sousa New Member

11. Vesuvius_SWIE

CLASS III SOL SHIP: The Bengbu Armored Corvette
    Four Variants
    As a starter ship for Sol, I think this ship will be quite popular for players who want to 'play it safe'. It has a lot of armor and strong force fields, so it can take a lot of punishment for a Corvette. But it does sacrifice firepower and maneuverability, so it won't give you easy kills. Greater staying power when defending a region though, especially in the early game.

03bengbu.jpg
    03bengbu2.jpg
    03bengbu3.jpg
    03bengbu4.jpg

12. NightWolf

NightWolf Member

Probably my type of ship to start with. The more defensive the better. I also like the one who helps defend a spot over being the attacker.

13. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

Can you post how the offensive and defensive ratings are calculated?

14. Vesuvius_SWIE

At some point I'll make a thread will all the numbers/calculations, but here is how the OFF/DEF is calculated:

OFFENSE: (Total weapon rating + Marine strength) x maneuverability rating x Sensor rating
    DEFENSE: [Hull Points + (MaxShieldstrength x2 x shield tier)] x (maneuverability rating/2) x sensor rating

Maneuverability rating = Maxiumum movement a ship can have at full power divided by 10.
    Shield Tier = Level1 1x multiplier Level2 1.4x multiplier Level3 1.8x multiplier

15. NightWolf

NightWolf Member

Sorry just to clarify, what are shield tiers?

16. Vesuvius_SWIE

Shield tiers = is how advanced the shield is. For Genari, they have 1:1 power shields (every power gives 1 point of shields) and 1:2 power shields (every power gives 2 shield points). Sol has an additional tier of level3 (1:3). Ma'Alaketh goes even beyond that with some of its shields being 1:4 and 1:5. Hive does not have shields.

17. Vesuvius_SWIE

CLASS III SOL SHIP: The Mendi Corvette
    Four Variants
    Another Sol starter ship, the Mendi will probably be popular with those who like a lot of firepower. Its focus is on multiple laser weapons, with a tremendous damage output for a small ship. Of course, it does not have the survivability of the Bengbu, but it has three times the firepower of the Bengbu. Overall, its a well-rounded warship, and I think it will be the most popular (maybe just even for its looks).

03mendi.jpg
    03mendi2.jpg
    03mendi3.jpg
    03mendi4.jpg

18. J.Sousa

J.Sousa New Member

Mendi seems like more my starter ship than Bengbu. I wonder in one - on - one combat which one would win, I think the Mendi would take the cake. Post more :)

19. Vesuvius_SWIE

CLASS III SOL SHIP: The Orchis Scout Corvette
    Four Variants
    The third Sol starter ship, this ship sacrifices both offensive and defensive for speed -- in fact it is one of the most maneuverable ships in the game, and possibly the fastest when it comes to initiative. It may be the toughest starter ship to play, but using it properly, its a perfect scout, allowing you to identify hidden enemies for the rest of your team. One variant improves on the defensive, the other on the offensive, and one pushes its speed even further. The last variant literally becomes a long range plasma beam platform.
    03orchis.jpg
    03orchis2.jpg
    03orchis3.jpg
    03orchis4.jpg

20. lefty

lefty Member

I've like the orchis when I've seen the design, but I think I like offensive power more. I'd take the mendi.