*** CLOSED BETA UPDATES & DISCUSSION/BUG REPORTS IV ***

Discussion in 'Beta Discussion' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Jun 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

I don't like that 'either engines or hull not both' What if you wanted to do just 5 more hull damage to destroy a ship but instead RNG picked to damage engines a few points and then said ship gets another turn to let you have it?

-Actually, when the engine would get damaged, then the hull would too -- that was a bug. A ship has both hull points and engine points, so they are completely separate, and if an engine is hit, it is ONLY engine points. Both would be overkill. Also, they're working on fixing the fact that there is also chance of engine damage when hitting on the Aft/Port and Aft/Starboard arcs. These were rulesets from waay back when in the days of our board game variant in the 90s. -Vesuvius

I'd go so far as to say that engine damage is explosive/catatsrophic and should cause ADDITIONAL hull damage. The problem isn't the relationship with engine damage but how easy it is for someone to pass through or near you and then get engine shots. Make passing by someone to get a shot at engines more difficult, then also make the penalty for being hit in the engines more significant. Would also need to have some sort of damage threshold based on ship class for chance to damage engines. For example: Class/2 = minimum damage required to harm engines and cause bonus hull damage in addition to engine damage, chance increasing as damage further exceeds threshold.

The whole ship cost/reward system... out the window? Overhaul in progress?
    -The XP gained from damaging & destroying ships is identical as before. It is that the costs of the higher tier ships will be greater than its XP value. Its actually another 'feature' that hadn't been implemented yet, until now. With playtesting it didn't matter, and allowed players to gain higher tier ships faster. -Vesuvius

Nice change to Dark Matter (even though the whole concept of 'the edge of space' is rather ludicrous to begin with as is a 1000km compressed 2D space... but I will concede this game mechanic for the sake of gameplay), does it also grant faster galaxy-map travel still? If so, it is now a decent choice... for someone expecting to have to flee a fight :p

-I sort of explained it on the Chief Engineer thread, that the original idea was that it would take 1minute or so per sector to travel the galaxy map, so it would be a 'convenience' skill. But I've realized that in the 21st century gaming world that it would just piss people off, and they'd be too impatient for that. So it became a moot skill, and much better this way :) -Vesuvius

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2017
  2. Kahless

Kahless Member

I don't think I see any value changes on ships? At least nothing different with Genari ships?

-It won't reflect on the current build but you'll notice the dramatic changes in values for the really high tier ships when it does change. -Vesuvius

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2017
  3. AmishJoe

AmishJoe Member

So I have changed my mind. I would like an agile flyer 4 like this, lol. At least his weapons did normal damage. 20170701215508_1.jpg

-Yup, that was a data entry error on my part, its supposed to be 14 hull points, fixed now :) -Vesuvius

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2017
  4. MLocke

MLocke Member

I thought it was overkill when the engines AND hull would get damaged on a weapon hit. Its much better now without both. I mean, it was easier for me fighting the AI, going behind them, then mauling them with hits and taking out both hull and engines, but I can see that would be very frustrating for the receiving end of a pvp fight.

5. CpZen

CpZen Member

Looks like because of the new setup where the XP value differs from the LP/HP value, something got bugged on purchasing ships.

-Unlock costs are instead showing the new LP/HP costs
    -The new HP/LP costs don't show, but instead show the XP value in the shipyard.
    -If you try to purchase a ship with the XP value, it will freeze the game.

eg. battleborn ship shows 2400 HP cost, even though it is much higher with the new system, so selecting/purchasing causes a crash.

I also noticed on the test admin that the new value entries are not there.

So I think test is confusing the new LP/HP values for ships for unlock costs.

-Yup, definitely a bug, will be fixed in the next update -Vesuvius

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2017
  6. AmishJoe

AmishJoe Member

Second what CpZen said, I just froze the game when I tried to buy a Leningrad. Also the nasty power allocation bug is back and something related to it. Went in behind a firebolt and both of my missiles did engine damage, when it was the firebolts turn I still got hit with a 6 hp laser and two missiles, as well as it moved 3-5 spaces before. screen shot shows the engine power at 12? I don't think that is enough to move and have all those weapons charged, maybe my math is wrong, it won't be the first time. Had to wait out the allocation counter after the first round and then the firebolt never moved or fired for two rounds. 20170704190605_1.jpg

7. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

Amish: If the enemy retaliated on the same combat round, then its fine -- the engine damage takes effect on the following allocation round.

8. ShadowJudge

ShadowJudge Member

Looks like the purchasing bug is fixed. But wow, the costs of the bigger ships went up, big time!

9. AmishJoe

AmishJoe Member

Ok, that is what happened, thanks Vesuvius!

10. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

There is an AI ship that warps in once in a while to defend but has no weapons. Its the Andromeda class.
    -Will be corrected on the upcoming update. -Vesuvius

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2017
  11. AmishJoe

AmishJoe Member

I am not sure that overload is working. I had the first level on my Halifax and went into battle 3 times and only once did the interface show up. Didn't get a screenshot, sorry.

-If it isn't working properly after this current update, try to get me a screenshot if you can. -Vesuvius

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2017
  12. Vesuvius_SWIE

New build up!
    A lot of officer skills have been checked and fixed if not functional.

• The Andromeda research ship will no longer be used by the AI to defend a sector against players in the galaxy. Also can no longer be a selectable ship for Skirmish.
    • In cases where different parts of your ship take damage and the player leaves and enters combat they will now be correctly able to repair the damaged systems.
    • Ships when auto repairing in freeflight will now repair other ship systems besides hull. Priority order for the auto repair is: hull, crew, engines, and then other systems. Other systems (weapons, shields, and scanners) are randomized in their repair order.
    • The game now correctly prevents players from attempting to purchase skills if they do not have the correct number of skill points.
    • Resolved an issue where the new LP/HP costs were incorrectly appearing as unlock costs.
    • Resolved a game crash that could occur when purchasing a ship from the shipyard.
    • Ship systems that are already damaged will not be the target of additional damage unless they are engines.
    • The ship Nagara will now have the correct accuracy on all of its plasma beams.
    • Updated the ship skill ‘Dark Matter Astrophysics’ to have the correct description. Can escape combat with Dark Matter drive faster than normal ships of its class.
    • Many ship systems have had their stats revised.
    • Resolved an issue where Tactical Advantage was not giving the correct initiative.
    • The officer skill Resistance will now correctly give Radiation Protection.
    • The officer skill Power Boost is now correctly giving 5% additional power.
    • The in-combat nameplates will now correctly display the type of structure.
    • When waiting for the next transit phase to enter a map, players will now be able to observe the map instead of the loading screen. Observing players will only see what their allies can see.
    • Resolved an issue where player ships would not appear in the correct location when new ships warped into the map.
    • The captain skill Honorable Death will now correctly award Honor Points when the player’s ship is destroyed.
    • Resolved an issue that would sometimes cause starting locations to not be saved between play sessions.
    • Bot ships should more consistently use weapons on all their arcs (forward arc is still preferred).

13. SirSprout

SirSprout New Member

I just fought a pirate puritan class II, and it fired a rear weapon and ran off :)

14. Lesiak

Lesiak Member

I tried the new dark matter 2, and it's different seeing your ship leave in the middle of the map! I can get used to it though.

15. AmishJoe

AmishJoe Member

sorry Vesuvius your fragile flyer IV is not so fragile again. also the repair bug is back, until the next time you take damage then it works fine until you run out of enemies again.

Attached Files:

16. AmishJoe

AmishJoe Member

This is maybe a hard fix. When I move through wreckage and spot a new enemy at that hex, then it takes movement points and then puts me back where I started.

17. tkwizard

tkwizard New Member

When trying to use the Agile Flyer provided upon starting, I cannot appropriate energy to any systems; it keeps saying "Invalid System" and resets to starting levels.

18. Vesuvius_SWIE

Any chance you can post a screenshot of it?

Edit: I tried several of the Agile Flyer ships, went into combat, but didn't see the bug; I thought it might be ship-specific, but I'm guessing it is situation-specific...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  19. Vesuvius_SWIE

So it won't hold you back from entering that hex?

20. AmishJoe

AmishJoe Member

Sorry I can't explain it better. Let me try a visual, go back to my July 4 post with screenshot. I am 5 spaces away from the firebolt. If for example I could not see it with my four scanner range, and there was debris from an earlier kill directly in front of me. when passing through debris and normally I would stop there when I spot the firebolt, of course I cant stop on top of debris so instead of putting me the next closest space or whatever, I end up back where I started with my movement points used. Not just the actual distance covered, the total I clicked to move. I hope I made sense??

-Makes sense now, I will try reproducing it. Now, take note that there are 'fixed debris', which is those that I personally placed on the map as obstacles, so those are different; but actual accumulated debris from battles have slightly different properties. -Vesuvius

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.