*** CLOSED BETA UPDATES & DISCUSSION/BUG REPORTS IV ***

Discussion in 'Beta Discussion' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Jun 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmishJoe

AmishJoe Member

officer thing may be my lovely satellite internet connection, usually 1300-1400 ms lag. at least I can play spacewars,lol. call of duty is impossible, world of tanks infuriating. I guess that is what I get for living in a county with no towns, stop lights, and literally a dead end main street.

SirSprout likes this.
  2. SirSprout

SirSprout New Member

That's actually why I enjoy this game and look forward to it. It seems like spacewars is the only game I'm interested in that actually works on my near-dialup connection. I think the solution with the lag is not to click too fast, let it take.

3. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

Another update has been posted to the server, this one has the Fleet Commander skill update!

Summary

The Fleet Commander skill is now available. This skill allows the player to have a secondary or tertiary combat ship will follow you around the galaxy that will attack enemy ships. When the player acquires the now available Captain Skills called Fleet Commander I & II they will be able to toggle one or two combat ships to take into the galaxy. Go to the Shipyard, set the Role filter to Combat Ships, then requisition the Combat Ship you want. Then go to the Space Dock and toggle the checkbox next to the Combat tag on your ship selection.

Combat Ship Commands

Each combat ship will have a list of four commands that appear on the left side of the screen when they are selected in a map.

• Follow Me - The Combat Ship will follow you around the map and will always try to be close enough to you so you get its bonus. This is the default setting.
    • Hold Position - The Combat Ship will stop following you around the the map, but if you leave the map it will warp out with you and resume following you around the galaxy.
    • Back to Base - The Combat Ship will warp out of the map and return to the Spacedock. When used you will need to return to the Spacedock to retrieve your Combat Ship.
    • Attack - The Combat Ship with hunt down and attack the closest enemy ship.
    One key aspect is that the Fleet Commander and Commander skills are mutually exclusive.
    • Fleet Commander 1: prevents the captain from ever achieving (Battleship Commander)
    • If the player has Fleet Commander 1, Warship Commander, and Capital Ship Commander they can have 1 additional combat ship and it and the player are restricted to a maximum ship class of 8.
    • Fleet Commander 2: prevents the captain from ever achieving (Battleship Commander) and (Capital Ship Commander)
    • Capital Ship Commander: prevents the captain from ever achieving (Fleet Commander 2)
      Battleship Commander: prevents the captain from ever achieving (Fleet Commander 1)
    AI Changes
    • AI controlled ships will be better at finding other ships.
    • AI ships will no longer fire their weapons across the map. Now they will fire based on a threshold for their hit chance. This is to prevent the bots from closing the distance with other ships.
    General
    • If a Captain or Officer does not meet the required level for a skill the game client will now display a notification.
    • Fixed an issue where AI following ships would not appear if you enter a map next to a map object.
    • Addressed an issue where the client was spamming the server with ShipyardGetOfficersMessage requests.
    • There have been many AI adjustments made to accommodate the Fleet Commander skill that may not be noticeable by players.
    • The majority of development time has been spent debugging the Fleet Commander functionality.

0b1000010 and AmishJoe like this.
  4. MLocke

MLocke Member

I recommend that the AI is improved when it comes to radiation zones. I've seen AI ships walk right into it and blow themselves up. I wouldn't want one of my fleet commander ships suiciding like that.

-Getting fixed on the new build -Vesuvius

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2017
  5. Kahless

Kahless Member

The support ships and secondary ships should warp out together with you :)

-Getting fixed on the new build -Vesuvius

6. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

For new players, I think it would also be nice to have warnings when you get close to a radiation zone as to what it does.

7. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

So you cant control your fleet? Only your primary ship? That's pretty sucky, will it stay that way?

-Yes, like the support ships, the AI controls the secondary ships. Waaaay past in the beta release, we might make them human-controlled, but the biggest issue is allocation round for so many ships -- the time limit would be the same. -Vesuvius

8. Vesuvius_SWIE

Another update for the weekend, and the server has been reset. Tomorrow, a large batch of beta signup people will be invited to populate the server.
    • The AI will now be more effective at allocating power to prevent situations where they are unable to move.
    • The AI will now partially power systems when it makes sense. This helps with situations where it uses too much or too little of its available power.
    • The AI will now make sure they're actually in the map before attempting to repair.
    • The AI will now avoid radiation environmental hazard instead of ignoring the danger they pose.
    • The Support and Combat ship command buttons will now correctly show the state of the currently selected command for the selected ship.
    • The visual and sound for Maalaketh beam weapons have been updated to better convey the intensity of their effect.
    • Fixed an issue that would sometimes cause the player to remain on the loading screen indefinitely when entering into a Skirmish match.
    • Fixed an issue that would cause ships to not properly be detected when they reenter a map.
    • While in Freeflight the player and all of their Support & Combat ships will now warp out at the same time.
    • Improvements have been made to better randomize the starting location for ships.

JansenC and AmishJoe like this.
  9. AmishJoe

AmishJoe Member

Just captured a sector, everything worked well, in that sector. Seems smoother every build. Keep up the good work, and I will be glad to have some more real people to play against. Hopefully I will have my Halifax back by then,lol.

10. Vesuvius_SWIE

For those of you starting new characters, I noticed for me, the intro video didn't play, was it the same for you?

11. NightWolf

NightWolf Member

Not seeing it either.

12. AmishJoe

AmishJoe Member

The same here

13. Lesiak

Lesiak Member

I'm not seeing engine damage on the enemy any more, I know it's supposed to be about 2 to 10% chance when you hit an enemy in the rear. Has it been removed?

-I think its a new bug, you should see it. Will investigate. -Vesuvius

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2017
  14. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Yet another reason to add to the list for my request for Power Presets save slots!:

Create (3) One-touch buttons to setup weapons, shields, scanners, and whatever you want leftover for movement. Seems like a pretty simple feature to add :p (Seems like...)

Go to a Skirmish/Practice match (or a light live match, there will be plenty of time to do this organically when a new player starts).
    Manually configure power settings as desired
    Click 'save to slot 1, 2, or 3' (or more?) to assign current settings for the ship to the specified slot
    Repeat for each desired power allocation as desired/time allowing (may require several rounds to setup each ship)
    Adjust as needed (power boost, damage, as combat unfolds, other changes) using presets as a foundation or template, updating save states as desired
    When in new combat, click 'recall power settings' slot 1, 2, 3, etc. to quickly allocate power for selected ship

All of this data could be saved client side (~3 power presets per unique ship ID. Each ship, especially when we can own multiple of the same one [Mendi III], will require it's own ID and associated power preset save file) to reduce memory and networking usage, but each config would still be checked at the end of allocation like usual to prevent fraud and invalid ones would be rejected.

Even without power presets, I've gotten accustomed to allocating power in a matter of seconds, which generally doesnt change too much throughout the course of combat. The most difficult ship to power up... well you can only ever have one of those anyway :)

Repairs and actions that do not have hotkeys are what take the longest (like setting shields just right).

15. Vesuvius_SWIE

^^^ I agree with this, and I do think it will be something that will be implemented on launch.

16. Kaden3701

Kaden3701 New Member

New player here.

When I created a new Sol character I got a brief intro. I'm not sure it was the video you were talking about. There were a few different images and some text/voice over. (At one point the VO said "they're" while the text said "They are")

A few oddities I saw
    • Character Creation > "Sol Imperial Worlds" and "Genari Empire" is covering the "Enter Name" text above the box. I tried to create without putting in a name, wasn't sure what the box was for at first.
    • Character Creation > Ship selection for Sol Imperial Worlds > The "Previous" button is only clickable on the arrow, the entire "Next button is clickable.
    • Character Creation > Ship selection for Sol Imperial Worlds > Navigating through the full list with the "Previous" button never shows the Mendi IV after it is seen the first time.
    • Transit Loading > One of the pirate ships did not appear in the loading screen. Hurricane Petit, Pirate Puritan, Class II Ultralight Interceptor
    • After each battle my rewards were added to my starting point of 0XP and 350 Leadership without any of the previous rewards seeming to be present. Traveling to a dock seems to correctly update Leadership Total. Quitting and restarting the game seems to correctly update XP total.

17. Vesuvius_SWIE

Welcome Kaden, looks like the Intro Video has been fixed by the time you tested it out. The Character Creation screen still needs some work/improvement (its also kind of plain/boring in my opinion).
    The updating of XP is still a problem, and one of the things that needs fixing for sure. It should update the moment you arrive at a station.
    About the Transit video, that is also a known issue, where sometimes the ship warping in doesn't seem to appear/is invisible.

18. Pendragon

Pendragon Member

The AI doesn't ever fire its port/starboard/aft weapons, that's probably on purpose, but with the Fleet Commander skill it would be nice if the AI was smarter and used all its weapons. A ship like the Swordfish for example, would be pretty nerfed if it only fired its front weapons.

19. Vesuvius_SWIE

Update for this weekend!
    Space Wars Patch Notes 6/30/2017
    • When a vessel is attacked, either the engines or hull will take damage, but not both.
    • The chance to damage systems (e.g. engines, weapons, etc.) when attacking a ship has been revised to be more consistent.
    • With the exception of engines, a damaged system will no longer be selected to receive additional damage.
    • The purchase cost of ships on the Shipyard is no longer the same as the HP/LP reward value for when the the ship is destroyed, and the costs for ships have been revised.
    • Shields will no longer auto repair, and will now correctly require the player to use repair points to make them operable if disabled by damage.
    • The hexes bordering map objects adjacent to one another will now be unified as a single inaccessible area instead of separate inaccessible areas.
    • The introduction cinematic will now always be shown when a player creates a captain.
    • Support ships and additional following combat ships will now move to the hex closest to the player if no adjacent spaces are available.
    • The values of several ship skill and systems have been changed.
    • Several ships have had their skills and/or systems changed to improve game balance.
    • Ships destroyed by radiation will no longer leave wreckage in the wrong location on the map.
    • Repair Bay and Medical bay will now appear appear as systems when viewing ship details on the spacedock.
    • The nameplate popups for ships will now display the name and type of the ship instead of class and type.
    • A case where an invalid duplicate of a ship would appear in Skirmish has been resolved.
    • The officer Skills Dark Matter Astrophysics have been redesigned:
      • Dark Matter Astrophysics I: Allows for faster escape out of the sector in Combat: Larger ships (Class V and higher) no longer require several rounds to escape with their dark matter drive in combat.
      • Dark Matter Astrophysics II: The Dark Matter Drive can be activated anywhere on the map in combat -- they no longer need to travel to the edge of the map to escape.

TommyBZ likes this.
  20. TommyBZ

TommyBZ New Member

That was fast, there was a suggestion by some players on another thread about changing the Dark Matter Astro skill just a few days ago. I thought it wouldn't be implemented until after the game's launch because they were set/fixed. I'm going to try the Astro II out with the chief engineer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.