Officer Spotlight: Sol Chief Engineer

Discussion in 'The Shipyard & Guides' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

One of the five Sol Officers is the Chief Engineer -- who controls the performance of the engines and ship mobility. There are 14 skills available to this Officer:
    0CHIEFENG.jpg

Since the Chief Engineer has 5 levels, it means that you can only pick up to 5 out of these 14 skills.
    * There are two prime skillsets for the Engineer -- The Advanced Repair Skill and Power Boost Skill, which improve dramatically at level 5.

The Chief Engineer levels up from Experienced -> Expert -> Master -> Veteran -> Elite
    experience.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  2. NightWolf

NightWolf Member

Without the advanced repair skill upgrades, how many basic repair points does a ship have?

3. MLocke

MLocke Member

So can you stack overload and power boost, giving your ship that much more power?

4. Vesuvius_SWIE

Yes, you can stack overload and power boost, though overload is only temporary for one round (activated on the allocation round).

5. Lesiak

Lesiak Member

I'm curious too.

6. Vesuvius_SWIE

Basic repairs are 2 repair points per turn (all ships large and small have that standard amount).

7. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

just to confirm all these skill are only able to be used once per engagement

8. Vesuvius_SWIE

Passive skills are for every combat round, Active skills are only usable once in a battlezone. You need to leave the region and come back to 'refresh' it.

9. SirSprout

SirSprout New Member

So to confirm, say if the Oslo Frigate has 24 power, power boost level 3 would make the ship 27.6 power. Is that going to be 27 power or 28 power (rouneded up or down?)

10. Vesuvius_SWIE

Its rounded down, so 27 power. So basically power boost level 3 would add three more power to the ship, permanently.

11. CpZen

CpZen Member

The Engineer seems to be where I'd upgrade first. Seems like if you can get that many repair points on a ship (2+10) you could make it through a lot of rounds.

12. Coser

Coser Active Member

I can see that logic, but I'd be tempted to go for CMO first. Get him to the state where he can save all the officers and you don't risk your engineer getting killed with the ship, and therefore losing the experience you used to get him up to that standard.

And the reason for getting your CMO to maximum level first is he is the last one to be saved, so you could get him to where you'd save the engineer, but if you then lose a battle, you've lost the ability to save the engineer next time.

13. Vesuvius_SWIE

To avoid opening up multiple threads, here is the Genair Chief Engineer, which has identical skills as the Sol:
    0CHIEFENGG.jpg

14. Jmp2x

Jmp2x Member

Now if I could see my favorite race the Maalaketh's officers...

15. The Calamity

The Calamity Member

they wont be playable at launch and are still ways away from being implemented in the game as a playable faction :)

16. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

Another good skill here for the future might be the ability to repair engines.

17. Kuwanger

Kuwanger New Member

Sounds like a good idea. Or that engine damage resistance thing that some of the ships have.

18. MLocke

MLocke Member

I think dark matter astrophysics might be a more popular skill if it replaced faster moving on galaxy map with the ability to warp out anywhere on the battlefield (instead of on the map edges).

19. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

I second that. Maybe make level 1 where there is no delay on warpout for large ships, and level 2 the 'anywhere on battlefield'.

20. Vesuvius_SWIE

Agreed on this, in a way, the original idea was that it could take as much as a minute to travel each hex of the galaxy map, but that was an idea/design from the early 2000s. People aren't that patient anymore, so the current 'test' level speed will probably stay. The Dark Matter Astrophysics skill will be modified with the suggestions above.