*** CLOSED BETA UPDATES & DISCUSSION/BUG REPORTS II ***

Discussion in 'Beta Discussion' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Debris fades over time, sure, 20 rounds.... long after combat is over, but why is it reasonable for debris from such a tiny ship to block passage or scanning through a 1000km^3 space?

This is what I meant by either one way or the other, but make everything in agreement. Either pass through and scan through ships and debris or do not pass or scan through ships and debris. It doesn't make sense to be able to fly around a ship or scan past a ship that could intentionally be hiding another ship in its shadow, but then little fragments of that broken ship scattered all across a huge volume of space do block scan and passage?!

If a ship was a 1 km^3 of solid mass that became evenly distributed across 1000km^3 of space... lets just say 1m^3 chunks of the ship... so there are 1000 x 1000 x 1000 1m^3 blocks composing the largest ship or 1 Billion units of space. Seems like a lot right? But when it is inhabiting 1000000 x 1000000 x 1000000 m^3 of space? (1 Quintillion) A Billion times more space than matter to occupy it AT BEST from the LARGEST ship!

So why is this region unnavigable and blocking scans if a ship of the same size and mass located all in one place and possibly shadowing something behind it unable to block scans and/or passage?

Mechanics and reasons are not in agreement.

If debris is not supposed to block scanning, fine. If you want to stretch so far as to say that a ship cannot occupy a debris-ridden tile, fine. But if a ship can pass another ship, then there is not reason that a ship cannot pass through a debris field.

Passing either could (and in the case of a ship definitely should) have an added penalty/cost associated with it.

To me, the game just lacks a tactical field with being able to fly right past your enemy and do a 180 and shoot them in the rear, and it costs significantly less mobility to do so than flying around them too (5 points vs 8).

I guess I'm in the minority when thinking about tactics and forming a wall, wedge, V, ring, or other formation so that you can minimize exposed surfaces of your ship and plan defensive measures (like counterfire weapons and shielding) appropriately as well as employ higher leave teamwork.

How about giving debris fields some HP and the option to clear it by firing weapons at it? Maybe the HP is based on some fraction of the previous ship's HP (10% or so).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  2. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Seeing so much information automatically on the turn order bar and on warp-in really detracts from the value of the recon game.

No variance to ships/equipment, you know exactly what you are fighting before you even see it.

3. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Are there any hotkeys for 'end phase' or 'pass turn'

If not, I would love some please.

Having the game accidentally respond to a click as a movement command is no fun.

4. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

BTW, V, what is the value of claiming territory?? Just access to deeper territory?

-Yes, its to go deeper into enemy territory. -Vesuvius

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2017
  5. gegener

gegener Member

actually in the beta (sorry for the mistake)there isnt any value
    your question perhaps is :
    what will be the value of claiming territory in the futur?

6. Coser

Coser Active Member

No, we are in the Beta now. None of us saw the Alpha except Vesuvius [and maybe a couple of others]

The question should therefore be "What is the value of claiming territory in the released game?"

7. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Not feature complete and riddled with bugs, some borderline blocker types = Alpha in my book.

Call it what you want, it's just a name.

8. Coser

Coser Active Member

And Vesuvius has the right to call it what he wants, it's his game, he's asking for BETA testers. You are posting in a thread entitled "*** CLOSED BETA UPDATES & DISCUSSION/BUG REPORTS II ***". All I was pointing out was the logical disconnect of saying it's an ALPHA in a thread calling it a BETA.

Not had a single RTD or BSoD since I started playing. Ok, so not all the features are complete, but I've never had a major malfunction either.

-If it makes it any better, I'd say its 'early beta'. -Vesuvius

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2017
  9. gegener

gegener Member

your right coser its a beta sorry for the mistake!

i edit my post

actually this game is more finish than some other that i pay for xD
    i remember swtor i was on the beta i make tons of warning cause crash and bug ... you know what happen after

10. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

High Stakes Combat:

Damn invalid targets, can't wait to see that go!
    Dreadn.jpg

This was the final challenge for me (for now!), take on the highest stakes possible.

Taking it to the Mala homeworld!

11. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

I've only had one hard system freeze since I started testing this.

and I blame steam for that :p

12. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

If anyone (Sol) wants to tour the Mala homeworld, it is now safe to do so.

*Peeked behind the curtain*

13. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Why are maps square and not 'circular'/hex shaped?

-Lets focus on bugs right now. Its supposed to be 'like a board game', and according to the programmer, it would add a lot more programming complexity as it is, to do that. -Vesuvius

You forgot the blue. *fixed*

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  14. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

A little heads-up, I will be out of email/computer touch from Fri-Sun, going to Grand Canyon for a 3 day barbarian hike, and will be out of internet lol

Apex Predator and SPiEkY like this.
  15. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

BUT BUT BUT Who will shake their head at my shenanigans?

Have fun

Game will be broken when you return.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  16. darklord48

darklord48 Member

The rest of us.

17. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

Awe shucks, yous guys know how to make a feller feel loved.

18. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

The heck is this message?

I used targeting V to disable the weapon on another ship using another ship in a previous battle, and I have never seen this message before.
    Science Inoperable Message.jpg

19. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

I fixed the Leadership Skill
    Leader Xeen.jpg

20. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Active Member

@Vesuvius_SWIE

Forgot to finish the thought with all the previous discussion involved and leading up to this point (looks like you don't agree, can't/won't make the changes).

What I was getting at with all of that:

If the tiles are hex shaped on the galaxy map and some or all of the other changes I brought up were made and the combat zones were also hex shaped instead of the pseudo squares we have, the 'director' could be modified to spawn enemies within a certain range in or around any side of the hex map that borders on already controlled territory, possibly scaling in quantity and/or quality of reinforcements based on adjacent tiles that are aligned with the defender.

This would work towards thwarting what you see me doing left and right (literally), carving single tile paths deep into enemy territory with no regard to safety or tactics.

If reinforcements/defenders scaled in difficulty, quantity, and location (basically covering every angle with 5 out of 6 sides) while pushing a single line deep into enemy territory, that would certainly reduce the ability/speed of progress of a lone warrior and increase the tactical value of spreading out/claiming territory in a more 'fronted push' style instead of 'line drives' to key locations (such as stations) and obliterating them with no stronger defenders than any other fight.

Yes, I know we are lacking a significant player element to the game world for now :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.