*** CLOSED BETA UPDATES & DISCUSSION/BUG REPORTS ***

Discussion in 'Beta Discussion' started by Vesuvius_SWIE, Feb 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devilgeek

Devilgeek Member

The station never got destroyed, did it?
    Edit: I can confirm that it is still there.

-It was taking too long, we needed to free up the computers. But I saw the damage modeling get worse and worse, indicating it was going down in hullpoints.

Yes, I did kill them. If you want, I can easily make a YouTube video of the bug in effect and set it to unlisted (only those with a link can view it) or somehow send you the video file.
    -Then the bug must be after you kill an Alien AI. I will report it as a new bug then, but yes, a youtube video would work as a demonstrator.

Not sure how the XP share works, but I can probably help you get better ships very quickly if you'd like. At this point, I don't have much to do other than buy new ships and upgrade their crew (which is mostly useless because most of the skills don't work), so if anyone on Genari (sorry, can't be on both (though it would be wise for me to be on the team with the least amount of players)) needs help leveling..

-You can't XP share. I can easily give myself XP in the admin, but I'm just obsessive in 'earning' my XP in-game like other players; so I'm at the frigate stage right now.

I appreciate it, but no worries. I'll power through my 'new'-ness

Additionally, is there a way for us to know if someone is online in game? And are we going to have access to a party system in the future to invite other players and fight together?

-As with a gazillion features I hope for, but with 2 programmers, bug fixes are first priority. But yes, there is supposed to be a active player on server list, as well as a rankings ladder. Launch date was supposed to be the 15th of March, but as you can see, there's a longgggg way to go. (and more $$ out of my pocket for every week that goes by). -Vesuvius

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2017
  2. Devilgeek

Devilgeek Member

Ill try to bring it down again then.

Edit: I don't think the major Stations are destructible. Currently in the "Dark_Core"
    fighting a Class XIII Hive Shipyard, dealing about 80dmg per turn (excluding extra damage perks, not too sure if it's in effect) and that thing is not going down.

-LOL!!!!! You shouldn't be able to capture a Hive region, thus never be able to get to their homeworld. Another bug to report. -Vesuvius

But you guys got this. We're patient players and you're good with updates and keeping your playerbase in the loop. Good luck!

SPiEkY and wolf like this.
  3. Devilgeek

Devilgeek Member

Well this just got awkward... :D

That being said @Vesuvius_SWIE, here are a few weird bugs that are only explainable with a video:

CamadJ likes this.
  4. Devilgeek

Devilgeek Member

upload_2017-3-13_18-13-6.png
    This is also very awkward...

And that's a big picture o_O

-Bugs reported :)

5. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

I'm going to have the programmer make the chat pop up every time someone types there. A lot of the new playtesters don't seem to know that the chat is there. Will help improve communication.

SPiEkY likes this.
  6. CamadJ

CamadJ New Member

So I played my first bit last night.
    The things I liked:
    -The turn based actions were great, I really liked working with other players to take on AI and other players.
    -The weapons and power systems are very entertaining, it makes you think and plan.

Things I didn't like:
    -The chat window doesn't stay open, When you type or scroll (wasd & scroll wheel) the screen still moves in the direction of wasd or zooms even though you are typing in chat or trying to scroll up on chat.
    -Remember, this game just came out of alpha, there's still a lot more work with the chat stuff, also, I'm getting the XP stuff that appears there to be removed and placed somewhere else, since it does interfere with the chat. -Vesuvius

-Some of the AI ships could move 10+ spaces, attack you, and then move 10+ spaces away. I understand the concept, but the ship being able to take a lot of damage, be able to move that far, and be able to deal the damage it was blew my mind. I'm unsure if this was the ships stats (available to players) or if it was an AI feature, to make things more challenging, but it was quite annoying.
    -That's not an AI cheat, its simply the speed of those lighter ships you're fighting against. Agile Flyers, Orchis, etc... they are meant to be that way. The bigger you go on ships, the less maneuverable they get. You can do exactly the same with your class III ship, and its a pretty good tactic too. -Vesuvius

-During combat, Ship initiative/turn order, you need to hover over the ship icon to see which ship is in what order, especially if you and another player have the same ship. This could be resolved by putting captain names on the bottom of each icon.
    -That is another thing that is going to be implemented, as well as a 'turn bar' during allocation, so you can see who has finished their allocation turn etc... -Vesuvius

-I am still unable to figure out how to "capture" an area for my side. From the limited time I got at pax, my understanding was spending time in the area would bring it over to my side if there was no enemy in the area or they had been defeated. I can't tell what the Bars across the top of the screen are for, but I would assume this was it, however they never change.
    -Capture is still buggy, and works some times, others not at all. I was playing online last night testing quite a few regions, and made a lot of screenshots and updated the bug reports for it. Its definitely a priority fix. -Vesuvius

Things I was okay with:
    Damage isn't displayed on other ships, while you could try and use the amount of sparks around a ship to measure how close to death it was, and expect allies to speak up when they are low on health, i did find it difficult to prioritize targets, making the game more interesting.
    -By the way, we're debating on how much info we should show on the enemy, its a gameplay thing, and some say its better to show the stats, while others say its nice to have it like it is right now. Eventually I'm going to make a poll on it, to see if we should have enemy hull & engine power showing. It makes it even more tactical without the stats, but I'm still on the fence with it, even though it was a rule I had when I was running my board game 30 years ago. -Vesuvius

Bugs:
    1. Several times, I've launched the game, been able to choose my character and then been locked in the loading screen, I have yet to get the game to reload. This one I am still troubleshooting. -That would be a new bug -Vesuvius
    2. I've attempted to enter a preexisting combat and been stuck in a loading screen. I was able to hear all the actions taking place on the other side, but i had to wait a significant amount of time in a loading screen while the actions were taking place. I've entered combat another time and seen how it should function so I know this wasn't intentional. -You're waiting for your queue to enter combat, so you have to wait until the players involved end their turn and you transit in. -Vesuvius
    3. I'm going to assume this is a bug, but I don't see where I can find the costs for officer upgrades, so I just keep attempting to buy them until it lets me.
    -Costs are right under the 'promote' button for the officer.

Suggestions:
    1. I think it would be awesome if you could either change the direction of your scanner, or put energy into scanning in different directions, that way you aren't limited to only seeing in-front of you. Not a big deal to me, just an idea.
    -Its a rule/gameplay thing, the scanner is built into the front of the ship.
    2. If when a weapon is brought up for combat phase, you didn't have to hover over the target to see the % change hit, maybe if it just displayed the chance hit and or captains name.

I'll put up more if I find a way to get past the loading screen haha.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017
    darklord48 likes this.
  7. Vesuvius_SWIE

Server will be down for another hour or so; a Unity engine update is being implemented.

SPiEkY and CamadJ like this.
  8. CamadJ

CamadJ New Member

Thanks Vesuvius!

9. Vesuvius_SWIE

New build up!

SPiEkY likes this.
  10. Coser

Coser Active Member

Don't know if it's a bug or not, but when at the edge of the map, the sensor image is not symetrical. One side follows to the edge of the map, the other seems to be blocked by the edge of the map, resulting in areas that are closed off, even when within the 4 hex 'visual' range.

11. Coser

Coser Active Member

And I've just lost my Liverpool II.

Genari missile frigate got behind me and hit me badly. During allocation I repaired as much of my engines as I could, but was still left with a deficit of power. However, I could not turn off the side facing weapons to give me the positive power I required and due to this I ran out of allocation time. That I had not been able to power down the weapons meant I spent too much time panicking about that, could not change my shields to protect the facing the enemy was at, and got taken out the next turn.

Can we please do something about this, it's really annoying that the system says I don't have enough power, but won't let me reduce the requirements by shutting off some of the weapons. Maybe it's possible that if you take engine damage that means you can't run everything you currently have powered, it automatically shuts everything off for the start of the allocation round. Re-setting everything from scratch would at least be better than not being able to do anything.

Anyway. I'll be taking out a class II for the forseeable.

12. Devilgeek

Devilgeek Member

For some weapons, you can't manually turn them off. You have to drag the bar down or press their assigned key until they max out and then shutdown.

13. Devilgeek

Devilgeek Member

Um. Yea, quick question:
    Why does a Hive ship deal 34 dmg per laser and 50 dmg per missile o_O

Like, can I have one? Cause my Leviathan kinda almost died...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    wolf likes this.
  14. SPiEkY

SPiEkY Member

Yeah, some update came through and really buffed those Hive Entities. They were already really damn strong, they didn't need to be "one-round anything below a Class X" strong, they're only VIIIs.

15. Devilgeek

Devilgeek Member

There's nothing anyone can do at this point, whether it's 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, no matter what ship you have. I'm honestly terrified to go to the Ma'Alaketh side.

With a high class ship, Battlestations don't give XP, enemy ships don't either, there isn't much to grind anymore. Furthermore, High Class Battlestations are still invincible.

-Wasn't expecting anyone to roam around with Leviathans, a slow grind and upgrade with bonuses bringing most players slowly to the next class and so on. -Vesuvius

Is there a complete reset tomorrow?

16. wolf

wolf New Member

I'm pretty sure marine team expansion doesn't work. I have it maxed out and the marine pods at time killed less crew members than before it was maxed. I mean they killed 7 when before they retuinely killed 15. Also I killed all the opposing crew and boardered then nothing happened. :(

-Hence the skills report page on the beta thread -- post your findings there please. -Vesuvius

17. Devilgeek

Devilgeek Member

Aw that sucks :/
    There's supposed to be ship boarding to capture them, but it was disabled for the Beta. Most of the abilities don't really work either. The only one that I have found to work is the repair one (haven't tried all of them, only the ones I liked).

18. wolf

wolf New Member

yeah honestly thats the whole reason I chose Genari. Side note: Fighting the Hive is pretty sweet. I can't wait to play them.

19. Devilgeek

Devilgeek Member

I think they're gonna change quite a lot. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to have more close range weapons than lasers and missiles.

20. Vesuvius_SWIE

Again reminder to all, that the game is in early beta, so there's a lot of features and fixes being done. 2 programmers, and a lot of bugs/features to be worked on. Each major bug can take a day or two to nail down.

Hive/MAL aren't that strong -- I artificially beefed them up so that they wouldn't be exploited right now. The truth is that they're supposed to come in waves of multiple ships to eliminate you (but only come one at a time right now), but right now the programmer is focused on more important things like bugs. So since the hive/Mal come in singles, I increased their offensive tenfold.

SPiEkY and wolf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.