Environments & Obstacles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hexxx, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Hexxx

Hexxx Member

There hasn't been much discussion on ion storms, radiation zones (at least from what I see on the Medical Officer skill thread) and all the asteroids and planets seen in the screenshots. Vesuvius (I guess this threat is meant for you) is it possible for you to give more details?

SPiEkY likes this.
  2. Nickman77

Nickman77 Member

Curious about this too. All the images I see posted around shows 'environments' that must have effects on ships.

3. Vesuvius_SWIE

Vesuvius_SWIE Administrator Staff Member

environments.jpg
    I hadn't answered this query because I wanted to build a nice page for it, here it is, it should cover all the details :)

4. Hexxx

Hexxx Member

Thanks, also curious then, how many types of unique objects and planets/moons etc... are there?

5. 0b1000010

0b1000010 Member

For radiation, when its says 1 damage to all sides, does that mean that you're essentially getting 6 damage since there's six sides to your ship/hex? And in the level1 radiation case, if you have 1/1/1/1/1/1 powered to your shields, would that mean you don't receive the effects of the radiation?

6. Vesuvius_SWIE

Hexxx: There's so many planet/moon/asteroid varieties I cannot count. About a dozen unique objects.
    Ob1: Your force fields will absorb the damage, but you'd have to recharge it every round. Yes, if you went into a radiation I zone and didn't have any force fields active, you'd get 6 damage per round... so radiation zones are best avoided unless you have to go through them for tactical reasons -- of course you do have an advantage if your science officer has the skill.

7. Potkeny

Potkeny Member

8. JansenC

JansenC Member

Are any of these object destructible?

9. Vesuvius_SWIE

Later in development, I hope to have objects like the asteroids and even one-hex sized moons be destructible. Otherwise all objects and environments are indestructible.

10. TommyBZ

TommyBZ New Member

Genari ships with no shields but lots of armour could have an advantage in the ion storms id think

SPiEkY likes this.
  11. Warshoe

Warshoe Member

So essentially don't go into level 4 radiation unless you're suicidal or have a lot of hitpoints to kill. What happens if a place is full of ship debris, wouldn't that create a large area of obstacles?

12. Vesuvius_SWIE

Indeed if the ship wreckage stayed in place, it could mean a lot of barriers, and some people could game the system by creating a 'wall' of destroyed ships. The wreckage will actually 'dissipate' after 20 rounds, or when all combat is over.

13. Nickman77

Nickman77 Member

The level of detail on this stuff is pretty nice for an indie game, I must admit. UBIsoft should take notice.

14. Sarah

Sarah New Member

I do have a technical question. If the combat is turn-based, does these environmental effects hit you at the beginning of the turn or at the end of it? Also if youre on the outside of a nebula, do you see an opponent that is inside it?

15. Coser

Coser Active Member

There is another option. Environmental effects could be 'click' based. This would be some arbitrary number or portion of time. Therefore smaller, nimbler ships may get away with less damage (and more decisive captains can also minimise damage over dawdlers), whilst removing the 'gaming the game' mechanic of being just outside the effect at the start of your turn, entering, maybe going through combat, and exiting the effect before the end of the turn so counting as if you had never been in the effect at all.

This is also true of vessels just speeding through an effect just to gain the tactical advantage of putting the effect between them and an enemy. Running vessel starts turn on same side of effect as pursuer, moves all the way through the effect without damage, and ends it's turn on the other side where the enemy can't see/shoot it - possibly ready to shoot the pursuing vessel as it exits the effect either blind, defenceless, or worse.

16. Vesuvius_SWIE

To Sarah, the effects vary:
    In Ion Storms and Nebula the force field and sensor disabling is instant. As for radiation, you get hit at the end of the round before allocation round.
    Player turns invisible to outside players' sensors inside a nebula, just as the person in the nebula is. 'Visibility/detection' ends up being at 4 hex range.
    So Coser, you are correct about the radiation, where you could in theory cross right through it without taking damage.

17. Kuwanger

Kuwanger New Member

Is any race inherently resistant to these environments?

18. MLocke

MLocke Member

Since we know now that ion storms disable the force fields, some genari ships and hive ships would probably prefer to battle on maps that have a lot of nebula in them. Is there going to be maps where the entire space is nebula or ion storm etc.?

SPiEkY likes this.
  19. Vesuvius_SWIE

Yes, there will be maps where a significant portion of it is dominated by one environment or another. There will be a huge variety of maps/battlefields (since we're talking about at least 100 sectors on a medium galaxy map).

SPiEkY likes this.
  20. Lesiak

Lesiak Member

The more maps the merrier I say.